Global Director Food Science and Innovation
Do you want a career and not just a job? Are you ready to make a difference and not just make a living? Do you desire to have an impact on the future of talent in a world-class organization? Is it time take the dive into your next great adventure? If so, apply now as your first step towards joining one of the most dynamic and innovative teams in the business today.
McDonald’s Corporation is the world’s leading global foodservice retailer with over 36,000 locations in over 100 countries. Our U.S. business includes:
- Home office headquarters located in Chicago, IL
- Ten field offices located across the country, supporting our employees, brand and more than 14,000 restaurants ran by McDonald's and our franchisees
At McDonald's, it's our mission to offer dynamic careers for a variety of business functions around the world including, but not limited to positions working in:
- Human Resources
- Learning & Development
- Consumer Business Insights
We believe that a career here is an opportunity for you to be the best at what you're passionate about, in a supportive, inclusive environment where you are valued and respected. We are dedicated to building a committed workplace that rewards and recognizes you for your loyal contribution, and supporting you by offering growth and advancement opportunities. We believe the best people in the world work right here.
Director/Manager Global Menu Food Technologist
Provide functional leadership that examines and tests core menu improvements to formulations, nutritional optimization, operating platforms, and equipment. Use our suppliers and other AOW resources to recommend improvements to core menu items according to established product standards and characteristics. Key customers include senior leadership, other department Directors, and key AOW personnel.
Must have a degree in Food Science or equivalent, familiar with core gold standards and have experience working across multiple product categories (such as beef, poultry, coating systems, liquid products, dairy, etc). Ability to speak to different levels of technical knowledge and understanding is important.
1. Provides ongoing coaching, training and development of suppliers, direct and indirect AOW reports, and other AOW members in the food development and nutrition disciplines.
2. Helps to supply and create an environment that supports a high-performing team.
3. Maintains knowledge of McDonald's operating systems and history, product standards, and suppliers/supplier processes.
4. Investigates and proves out robust core menu improvements that are safe, consistent, feasible, fulfill product/brand requirements, and meet all critical taste standards.
5. Designs laboratory and confirmation (scale-up) experiments that examine the operational and formulation variables that impact key product attributes such as taste, appearance, texture, etc.
6. Recommends options for core menu improvements.
7. Identifies product specifications and key attribute ranges within process capability for core menu improvements.
8. Coordinates with Global Supply Chain and Quality Systems with the commercialization (e.g., supplier approval, product integrity, increased capacity, legality of new ingredients) potential across system.
Innovation and Improvement
9. Develops knowledge of industry trends and processes to identify options multiple product categories such as baked goods, poultry, meats, dairy, produce, etc.
10. Provides targeted products and options for strategic menu needs - acts as Global Sensory Team member and liaison.
11. Assesses industry technologies and explores how to apply them to McDonald's menu needs.
12. Identifies innovative options for core menu improvement.
13. Collaborates with other groups (e.g., Supply Chain Management, Nutrition, Quality Systems, RSG, AOW Menu Leads) with those improvements.
14. Manage and challenge existing operational platforms as needed to improve processes and meet strategic menu needs.
1. Assists Senior Director with defining and fulfilling the Food Innovation and Development (FID) group vision.
2. Serves as global representative to suppliers, global marketing, AOW Menu Leads, Global Nutrition, and other departments to discuss McDonalds System plans and projects for core menu improvement.
3. Ensures functional adherence to the function G&A and project budgets.
4. Ensures that staff and suppliers understand the business case for core menu improvements.
5. Facilitates staff and suppliers' understanding of the business case for new products/concepts.
6. Participates with the Global Menu Strategy Leadership team to ensure priorities are aligned and resourced across appropriate functions.