Home Chef is building new ways to provide meal solutions that meet a wide variety of customer needs, and shipping locations both online and in store. Our team is a unique mix of creators, chefs, entrepreneurs, and trailblazers and we’re growing quickly. Our customer-first mentality, combined with a zest for supporting our peers, helped us bring home Built in Chicago’s Startup of the Year Moxie award in 2017. If you’re ready to be part of the action, we’re ready to connect with you. There are no limits to where we can go together.
As the COVID-19 situation continues to escalate in the US and around the world, we are committed to keeping our teams and their families as our greatest priority. To that end, we are making some adjustments to the way we will be doing business in the upcoming weeks.
We are taking all the necessary precautions to keep our employees and customers safe, and would love to have you on our team as we can continue to serve our communities.
Summary of Responsibilities:
The Ingredient Specialist provides support to the Corporate and Plant Food Safety and Quality teams. The role owns the ingredient specification database, ingredient approvals, shorts & replacements approvals, and review, development, and approval of ingredient specifications. The role works closely with cross-functional teams (i.e. Supply Chain, Culinary) ensuring product timelines are met. This role will be trained as a back up to some labeling activities.
- Ingredient Review & Approvals
- Maintain organization and accuracy of Home Chef’s specification and Admin system
- Perform ingredient risk assessments on all ingredients prior to approval, documenting risk assessment in accordance with Home Chef’s policies
- Approve ingredients to be added to Home Chef’s pantry by reviewing ingredient attributes including but not limited to: allergens, ingredient statements, nutritional statements, storage requirements, shelf life, etc.
- Become subject matter expert for all Home Chef ingredient categories: protein, dairy, dry goods/grocery, produce, bulk, and pre-portioned
- Shorts & Replacements Approvals:
- Serve as point person for all FSQA Shorts & Replacements Approvals after performing ingredient risk assessment, escalating to FSQA Program Manager, Product as necessary
- Communicate approvals or rejections to stakeholders in a professional and timely manner
- Specification Review & Development
- Partner with Supply Chain, New Product Development and Culinary to review supplier specifications, compare specifications to Home Chef’s specification expectations, and work with suppliers on updates as required
- Develop specifications for custom ingredients and/or produce ingredients, sharing with the appropriate cross-functional teams and suppliers as necessary
- Labeling Activity Support
- Serve as a back-up for various labeling activities including but not limited to: allergen meal bag labels, emergency stickers and/or packaging creation, meal card review
- This position requires 5-10% travel.
Qualifications: The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, ability and/or other characteristics needed for this role. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities.
- Minimum 1-2 years experience in quality assurance, food safety, food distribution, food manufacturing, food supply chain, or related field
- Working knowledge of ingredient statements, nutritional fact panels, and allergen declarations
- Strong analytical skills, able to make data driven decisions
- Exceptional written, verbal and interpersonal skillsSelf-starter who is results-oriented, resourceful, pragmatic and takes initiative
- Takes high level of ownership over work, highly organized
- Capable of handling multiple responsibilities at once
- Demonstrated ability to embrace change and learn quickly in a fast-paced environment
- General High School Degree or equivalent
- Comprehensive Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance – benefits start the 1st day of the month following your start date
- Company paid Life Insurance, Short Term Disability and Long Term Disability
- 401k Employer match - 50% on the $1, up to 6% of the employee's earnings
- We offer flexible spending accounts (FSA) for qualified Medical, Dependent Care, Parking, or Transit expenses
- Flexible paid time off (PTO) policy, plus sick days
- Generous Parental Leave
- Great Work/Life Balance – We value and support each individual team member
- Quarterly company-wide “Town Hall” meetings
- Ongoing professional development opportunities by level and function
- Your choice of Windows or Mac laptop, plus an extra screen
- Onsite gym
- Weekly Fooda credit
- Newly renovated office in the historic Old Main Post Office which is located close to multiple Metra and CTA options
- Employee discounts through Perkspot
- Discounts on Home Chef meal kits and at Kroger stores
- Casual dress in a fun, friendly and collaborative work environment
Candidates can experience Home Chef as a customer - enter promo code PEOPLE30 for $30 off your first order!
Home Chef is an equal opportunity employer.
To view the California Applicant Notice click here