News Editor at Built In
Built In unites companies and people around their shared passion for tech and the universal need for purpose. Our audience of sought-after tech professionals use Built In to find their professional purpose and connect meaningfully to the tech community, including by reading our content, networking at our events and finding innovative companies they believe in.
Headquartered in Chicago, we also serve Los Angeles, Colorado, Austin, New York, Boston, Seattle, San Francisco, and Nationwide.
When you work for Built In, you have the opportunity to change lives by giving talented people access to purpose, not just a paycheck. And you’ll make an impact on some of the most exciting companies in tech, helping them hire their next wave of elite talent. Be part of Built In, and be part of the future of tech.
We're Looking for a News Editor
The primary goal of Built In’s Growth Content team is to attract and retain readers to our local market sites and to BuiltIn.com by creating materials that instruct, inform and inspire. Candidate quality is Built In’s core differentiator over our competitors in the talent space, and the Growth Content team’s work strengthens our reach and reputation among both aspiring and existing technology professionals in the markets we serve. By publishing articles—features, news, explainers, and professional development content—relevant to their passions and professions, the Growth Content team ensures that Built In is a regular destination for this core audience, and the first they go to when pursuing new opportunities.
As news editor, you will be joining our Growth Content team of reporters and editors; you will report to the director of growth content and be responsible for developing and implementing an ambitious strategy for Built In’s short-form, quick-turn coverage of the technology industry with a focus on growing our audience and brand across all of the regional markets we serve. The person in this position will manage and coach several on-staff reporters and must be comfortable vocalizing the overall news strategy to the entire team.
We’d like to see this person’s breaking news coverage regularly cited by other outlets, and their quick analysis and smart, value-added aggregation be celebrated on social media. But this job is about more than writing and reporting—it involves strategic planning about how to make Built In content recognizable and respected in the flood of the daily news cycle. Working alongside other content team leaders, the news editor will identify what kinds of stories truly grab our audience and write, assign and recalibrate based on those affinities. The editor will also identify holes in our current coverage and write and assign in a way that could attract new audiences to our sites. Please address how you might begin to go about addressing these challenges in your cover letter.
What You Will Do
- Write, edit and assign all short-form news content on Built In’s regional sites: scoops, breaking news, short analysis, and new forms that you invent in collaboration with your team.
- Manage and coach three on-staff news reporters to create content that attracts and regularly serves a large audience of tech professionals.
- Craft editorial and audience strategy based on the latest data, and communicate your short-form strategy to other writers and editors on the Growth Content team.
- Identify holes in coverage and capitalize on them to build new audiences and the brand.
What You Need
- A passion for technology, startups and entrepreneurship.
- Four-plus years of experience as an editor in a journalistic capacity, with at least one year of experience managing direct reports.
- The ability—and desire—to use analytics to inform editorial decision-making.
- The ability to embrace change. We're growing fast and change is a constant. We look for people who are excited to help build something and who see every new change as an opportunity.
- Curiosity, excellent taste and editorial judgment.
- Ability to lead by example and be collaborative, upbeat and solutions-oriented.
- Previous experience writing or editing for a technology publication is preferred.
What We Value
We’re revolutionizing tech recruitment. So we question everything, because the best answers sit just to the right of a question mark. That’s our heritage as a disruptive company—as a company whose future depends on our capacity to innovate with a sense of drive, purpose and urgency. If you join Built In, you will work from this set of values:
- Be Unreasonably Passionate. Our passion is borderline obsessive, and we’re OK with that. No one ever built anything great on a “meh.” We work with outsized passion to fulfill our mission.
- Be Humble. You don’t have all the answers. Luckily, you don’t have to. Don’t worry about being right. Be humble instead.
- Stay Curious. Curiosity is a springboard to the future. It can transform the wisp of an idea into a breakthrough. We ask “what if.” We work with wonder. It’s how we innovate.
- Lead With Solutions. Question everything. But offer solutions as you do. Raise issues. But propose a few answers. For every hole you poke, offer a way to patch it up.
- Own the Result. We have no time for blame or shame. When you stumble, own it, learn from it + get back to business.
- Do More. Do more than your job description. Take initiative. Take charge. No job is beneath you, and no job is too big. Be a leader and do more—do whatever it takes.
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive compensation, 401(k), stock options and benefits.
- We pay a really nice chunk of the cost of premiums for medical, dental, vision and disability.
- Casual dress and flexible work hours. Come in your sweatshirt, jeans, college jersey. We don’t care. We focus on the quality of your work and your collegiality more than on your apparel.
- Free food! Yes, you read that correctly. We keep our kitchen stocked with free healthy snack foods. We also have cold brew coffee on tap and provide catered lunch (Monday through Thursday). We eat lunch together most days, which means you’ll quickly feel like part of the team.
- Fun work environment. We operate as a flat organization where everyone is responsible to self-manage and take ownership of their work. We are humble, hardworking, honest and fun. And we regularly debate office pets, take turns DJing and find time to celebrate our wins as a company.
- We offer unlimited vacation and sick time. We let you take time away from work for vacation, personal or short-term sickness, as your good judgment and workload allow.
Built In is an equal employment opportunity employer and values diversity. Qualified candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, military or veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.