News Reporter (Part Time)
At Built In, the health, safety and well-being of our employees and of our communities is a top priority. Due to the effects of COVID-19, we have decided to manage our entire business remotely until further notice. HQ-based employees will temporarily work from home until it is safe to return to our office. As we continue to grow, we are excited to be hiring for all open roles and look forward to meeting with qualified candidates in a virtual setting. For anyone who joins our team, your onboarding experience will also be conducted virtually. Thank you for your interest in Built In, and be safe!
Hello, We’re Built In
What We’re Up To
We’re building the largest platform for tech professionals globally. Monthly, millions of professionals visit BuiltIn.com from across the world. We’re the only platform they need to stay ahead of tech trends and news, develop their careers and find opportunities at companies they believe in.
Our 1,800 customers include innovative companies of all sizes, from exciting startups to companies in the Fortune 100. To attract our audience of skilled professionals, they trust us to tell the stories of their cultures and share their job opportunities. This helps them hire the industry’s most sought-after professionals locally, nationally and remotely — ultimately contributing to the industry’s ability to innovate a better future.
What You’ll Be a Part Of
Working at Built In is the chance to help shape a fast-growing company. Whereas we served eight tech hubs at the start of 2021, we entered 72 new markets across the U.S. by year’s end. Global plans are in the works. With venture funding of $30 million to date, we’re expanding not just our geographic footprint but our products and technology.
With the launch of e-learning opportunities for users, we’ve made Built In even more valuable for the professionals who already trust us with their careers. And as we grow into the leading SaaS product for employer branding, we’re using the latest technologies to serve customers in new, exciting ways — and you’ll contribute to that.
You’ll also be a part of changing the lives of professionals like you, ambitious people with a passion for tech and love of learning. As a result, you’ll understand the impact of your work in a deeply personal, especially meaningful way.
We’re Looking for a Part-Time Contributing Reporter (25 hours per week)
Built In’s editorial team reaches millions of tech professionals with in-depth reporting on the technology sector. We are currently hiring a reporter to help cover news across the 11 markets we currently serve, including Chicago, Boston, New York, San Francisco, Austin, Seattle, Colorado, Los Angeles, Atlanta, Dallas-Fort Worth and Washington, D.C. This part-time reporter is responsible for working up to 25 hours per week writing eight weekly refresh articles and eight monthly funding round-ups. This reporter also has the opportunity to assist with other editorial projects, as time allows, including writing features and covering breaking news stories.
For this position, we are looking for a reporter skilled in research, interviewing and writing clean journalistic copy. Additionally, this person should be endlessly curious about tech innovations and what they say about the future. Prior experience covering business or technology is a plus, but not required.
You’d be joining a growing and ambitious editorial team responsible for telling bold and original stories that help an audience of tech professionals learn and build new things. This team, which is primarily responsible for building and retaining our audience of tech professionals, reports to the VP of Growth and is independent of our marketing-led branded content team. Additionally, you'll be joining a company that enthusiastically invests in office culture, even with our current, remote workforce.
Research shows that women and members of underrepresented groups tend to apply to roles only when they check every box on a job description. We encourage you to apply if you meet the majority of qualifications and if this role is aligned with your career trajectory.
How You’ll Contribute
- Write eight weekly refresh articles and eight monthly funding round-ups.
- Assist with other editorial projects, as time allows, including writing features and covering breaking news stories.
- Pitch stories across the 11 markets we currently serve, including Chicago, Boston, New York, San Francisco, Austin, Seattle, Colorado, Los Angeles, Atlanta, Dallas-Fort Worth and Washington, D.C.
What You Need
- At least one year of writing and reporting experience, in a full-time capacity or other daily news environment.
- Excellent writing and editing skills (please include two or three writing samples when applying).
- Strong news judgment.
- Familiarity with AP style and an eye for detail.
- Interest in social media to enhance reporting and distribute stories.
- An interest in startups and emerging technologies.
- A knack for breaking down complex, nuanced concepts and making them approachable.
- End of week and some weekend availability.
Impress Us Even More
- Past experience covering the tech business news.
- Come prepared with a vision for how our coverage can evolve to make Built In an essential weekly destination for anyone interested in tech.
What We Value
We’re revolutionizing tech recruitment. So we question everything because the best answers sit just to the right of a question mark. That’s our heritage as a disruptive company — as a company whose future depends on our capacity to innovate with a sense of drive, purpose and urgency. If you join Built In, you will work from this set of values:
- Be Inclusive, Always. We’re committed to a culture where all people are respected, have a say and can be their whole selves. We will uplift and advocate for one another. Always.
- Be Unreasonably Passionate. Our passion is borderline obsessive, and we’re ok with that. No one ever built anything great on a “meh.” We work with outsized passion to fulfill our mission.
- Be Humble. You don’t have all the answers. Luckily, you don’t have to. Don’t worry about being right. Be humble instead.
- Stay Curious. Curiosity is a springboard to the future. It can transform the wisp of an idea into a breakthrough. We ask “what if.” We work with wonder. It’s how we innovate.
- Lead With Solutions. Question everything. But offer solutions as you do. Raise issues. But propose a few answers. For every hole you poke, offer a way to patch it up.
- Own the Result. We have no time for blame or shame. When you stumble, own it, learn from it and get back to business.
- Do More. Do more than your job description. Take initiative. Take charge. No job is beneath you, and no job is too big. Be a leader and do more — do whatever it takes.
Be Inclusive, Always
Built In is an equal employment opportunity employer. Qualified candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, military or veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Built In is guided by principles of diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI). We are committed to this work over the long-term, but here’s some of what’s in place today:
- We have five thriving ERG groups: Built In For The People, BuiltOut, United We Parent, Women United in Tech and Built In Tribe.
- We have a dedicated Director, HR + Inclusion who oversees our DEI roadmap, which provides our annual metrics, goals and initiatives.
- We are proud to be led by a woman CEO and founder, and that more than half of our managers and employees identify as women.