SMS Assist Summary
At SMS Assist, we’re not just in the business of fixing properties—we’re fixing an entire industry. Typically, facilities maintenance is tough work—both in the nature of the job (plumbing, HVAC, snow removal) and the lack of clarity throughout the experience. We decided a better way wasn’t only possible, but essential. Through our award-winning technology platform, built and powered by SMSers, we connect local contractors to our customers and help manage an experience that surpasses expectations.
Recognized on Forbes’ Cloud 100 list, Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500, Chicago Crain’s Top Tech Employers, and more, SMS Assist manages more than 186,000 properties where people live and work. Our customers’ livelihoods are in our hands—think a restaurant manager whose only fryer goes down on a busy Friday night or a family in Florida without power after a hurricane. We work across the industries that make up your community, including retail, food service, banking, residential, and more, and we help them find the right provider in our network (we call them Affiliates) in more than 45 trades.
We’re innovators, disruptors, and out-of-the-box thinkers. We set each other up for success in the office and for the perfect spike on the volleyball court during an intramural game. We’re community volunteers, karaoke partners, and lifelong friends. We’re passionate about the people we serve, and we give our all because we care. We want to make every property better, and we want your help to make it happen.
The Senior Content Strategist is responsible for oversight and acceleration of the content program at SMS Assist. They craft and execute the overall strategy for all content marketing needs including our digital, social, and print presence; leading a team to create, manage, monitor, and measure the effectiveness of content across the website, blog, external newsletters, white papers, webinars, video, research reports, infographics, case studies, ads, social media channels, collateral, and more. They will understand SMS Assist customers and perspectives, building relationships across the company, particularly with Sales, Product and Affiliate Relations to craft compelling storytelling that elevates the SMS Assist brand.
• Oversee the content creation and curation for all customer-facing communications in all channels
• Owner of the brand voice; ensuring consistency, accuracy, and quality of all marketing content
• Help ideate, develop, and execute campaigns across social, email, digital and print channels
• Create new sales enablement tools: pitch decks, case studies & white papers, collateral, etc.
• Oversee the creation and maintenance of all supporting editorial calendars, style guides, metadata frameworks used for the creation, curation, and governance of content, conducting regular audits
• Lead an internal content development team; find and manage industry content contributors for additional content creation; foster creation of user generated content (UGC) as determined
• Identify and seize opportunities to grow audience and engagement across platforms, contributing to measurable lead generation, collaborate with digital team on earned, owned, and paid media
• Support growing social media program and online reputation management. Ideate and execute social component of campaigns and events in collaboration with the marketing and digital team
• Develop content strategy and support speaker/attendee acquisition for virtual and in-person events such as conferences, trade shows, webinars, podcasts, sponsorships, and more
• Oversee and work with appropriate teams to support new digital efforts, such as mobile and online initiatives, monitor and drive audience engagement in partnership with digital team
• Build relationships with press and media; work toward creative placement and pitch story ideas as it fits into larger business/brand strategy; integrate press mentions into content marketing execution
• Measure the impact of the content created and understand how it performs against goals. Use our marketing automation platform, HubSpot, to oversee marketing initiatives. Show ROI through creative reporting and analysis on a regular basis.
• Foster a positive team environment
• Ensure confidentiality of internal and external data
• Perform ad-hoc projects and other duties as assigned
These are the professional skills we would expect from an individual fully established in this role.
• Verbal Communication - Advanced
• Written Communication – Advanced
• Teamwork - Advanced
• Relationships - Advanced
• Organizational Awareness - Proficient
• Learning Agility - Proficient
• Analysis - Proficient
• Process Orientation - Advanced
• Prioritization - Advanced
Role Specific Skills
• Advanced editing and proofing skills
• Command of writing content specifically optimized for digital channels utilizing best practices
• Computer Skills: Experience with WordPress, Google Analytics, and the top social channels
• Understanding of content needs for distribution via different channels (email, social, paid, direct mail, SEO, etc.)
• Experience with Content Management Systems (CMS), including using WordPress as a CMS
People Management Skills
• Proficient in all people management processes, including recruitment, performance management and reward
• Proficient in building, growing and developing a team; including department structure design and resourcing
• Proficient in coaching and developing individual team members to reach their potential
• Proficient in engaging a team through communication, processes, personal impact and influence
• Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, journalism, writing, or equivalent
• 10 or more years of professional copywriting, editing, and/or digital content creation with 5 or more years spent in channel content strategy development and managing a team