Senior Editor, Audience Engagement at Morningstar
Morningstar’s mission is to empower investor success. We strive to illuminate investing in support of this mission, so we can reach and inspire current and future investors. We’re looking for a strong editor and strategist to join our team. You’ll contribute in a major way to the evolution of our editorial group.
In this role, you’ll work with a cross-disciplinary team of editors, analysts, data journalists, and content strategists to plan and execute editorial ideas based on what you’re seeing and hearing from our audiences on site and off our publishing platform. This team is building dynamic content experiences that express Morningstar’s investing philosophies at every interaction; you’ll get into the details to understand the language we use to describe our ideas and gauge how they resonate with our audiences off site.
We’re looking for someone who will:
- Drive the growth of new audiences through search and social that will address what readers are interested in.
- Monitor the news of the day and relevant trends coming from the media relations team to help inform the content publishing process.
- Think in systems, always keeping in mind hierarchies and what came before and what comes after an interaction for a reader.
- Manage headline testing process and sharing your knowledge of effective practices for headlines and offering guidance.
- Represent the perspective of our audiences and how we should engage with them during editorial planning and strategy sessions all the way through to the execution of useful content.
- Manage engagement editors and learn from them what our readers on our platforms care about.
- Help plan a mix of content for our public site that is of interest to our audiences using the formats that appeal to them.
- Define content best practices for writing on our social media channels and use them to ensure our engagements online are meaningful.
Experience we’d like to see:
- 7+ years of experience in content strategy or journalism at a prominent digital news organization. Experience working with a marketing department is preferred.
- A degree in journalism or a related field.
- A point of view of how content should be written for social media.
- Hands-on experience writing headlines and an understanding of what works.
- Understanding of search engine optimization practices and how to apply that research to generating story ideas.
- Superb communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Demonstrated ability to work with content strategists, developers, and subject-matter experts.
- Excellent organization and attention to detail.
- Experience with AP Style.
This position is based in our Chicago office.
Morningstar is an equal opportunity employer.