Senior Product Content Strategist
Morningstar brings inspired problem-solvers together with one goal in mind—to empower investor success. At our core, we’re one of the world’s top investment research and data companies. But where we set ourselves apart is how we use that data and research to serve a diverse range of users. Our investment data and research enable us to deliver analytics and insights with a purely independent view, and then we leverage the latest in technology and design to deliver an array of solutions that best meet our users’ needs. This foundation of research, data, technology and design uniquely positions us to provide a more complete set of services to investors all around the world—ultimately helping people make better decisions about their money, or the money they manage for millions of people all over the world.
The Morningstar design team is dedicated to creating thoughtfully-designed financial products and services so that people across the world can make the best investing decisions for themselves and their clients. We synthesize complex financial information into experiences that help deliver better investing outcomes. We do this by not only creating the look and feel of a product, but also driving product direction: prioritizing the biggest opportunities to support our users and the business, while maintaining a strong sense of product ownership and its resulting success. The design organization is made up of several disciplines—visual, UX, communications, content, and research—united to help each other, and the whole company, grow. We’re always seeking designers who are motivated, driven to deliver user-centered outcomes, with an equal commitment to craft and compassion.
We’re looking for a Senior Product Content Strategist to lead the content design for a software platform that connects institutional investors, asset managers, and financial advisors to Morningstar’s world class data and research. You’ll partner with multiple product squads to design a framework that defines how we approach content decisions, then you’ll coach product and design partners to leverage that system to develop UI copy that is relevant, clear and meaningful. By building strong relationships with our sales, marketing, and client service partners, you’ll also outline a strategy for how we communicate with users and prospects across multiple touchpoints and channels, engaging each of these stakeholders to bring that conversation to life. Through all these initiatives, you’ll work closely with the product leadership team to help define and prioritize content work across the business based on the opportunity for greatest impact.
We’re looking for someone who’s:
- An expert in content design, with demonstrated experience in establishing and executing content strategy in software.
- Passionate about user experience and audience research, content coaching, and hands-on writing and editing.
- A curious self-starter who isn't afraid of ambiguity and is eager to find opportunities and solve for them by leveraging user insights and data.
- Able to thrive in an agile work environment, including the ability to embrace iterative product development while maintaining a cohesive and holistic view of the overall narrative experience.
- Committed to user outcomes, business impact, and measuring both.
- Eager to master complex information, and able to simplify it so that everyone can understand.
- Able to build meaningful relationships across multidisciplinary teams to cultivate empathy, while also moving a team forward.
- Deeply collaborative and can bring teams together to solve problems.
- Confident in their abilities and able to partner with and influence a senior group of stakeholders.
- Able to adapt their leadership style based on what the team needs, and is ready to take the initiative to get things done and ask thoughtful questions.
- Comfortable with a fast-paced work environment.
- Willing to regularly reflect on their work, and continuously strive for better ways of communicating, coaching, and learning.
- Able to bring energy to a team and keep things positive.
In this role, you’ll:
- Know your product and users inside and out, prioritize work where our team can have the most impact, and connect your content decisions to user outcomes and business goals.
- Partner with others who develop content in other parts of the user journey – marketing for example – so that we can provide a consistent narrative that aligns with the Morningstar brand.
- Coach designers, product managers, marketers, client service teams, and engineers to write content that brings clarity and confidence to users.
- Work with cross-disciplinary teams to co-create content that helps them explain how to use the things they create.
- Evaluate user-experience decisions and software flows as part of a conversation we’re trying to have with a user in order to help them succeed.
- User test software flows or pieces of content within a flow to gauge comprehension, and use that feedback to push for refinement / improvement.
- Analyze quantitative data and make recommendations on where to improve software experiences.
- Design in-app and email messaging / notifications related to using software.
- Write and edit product copy in natural language that helps people use things, with a focus on clarity, consistency, and understandability.
- Coach other product content strategists and UX writers.
- Advocate for the internal and external users of our products, with a focus on tying their outcomes to business goals.
- Effectively manage multiple projects and deadlines.
- Champion the value of Product Content Strategy among other teams at Morningstar.
Experience we’d like to see:
- 7+ years of content strategy, user experience design, and/or writing experience.
- 5-7 years of experience designing for digital products and interactions.
- Demonstrated experience as a leader on a multidisciplinary product team.
- Confidence in advocating for and sharing user-centered design principles.
- Superb communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Demonstrated ability to persuade partners and diplomatically resolve conflict.
- Excellent organization and attention to detail.