Senior Technical Writer at Morningstar
The team: Morningstar’s mission is to create great products that help investors achieve their financial goals. For the Workplace group, that means building products and solutions that help employers maximize the value of their workplace retirement plans and put individuals on the path to better retirement outcomes. Workplace is a high-growth area for Morningstar that houses a diverse suite of technology and investment-based solutions. Our unique client base includes retirement plan providers, plan sponsors, plan consultants, and retirement plan advisors. By constantly evolving our solutions and solving our clients’ problems, we are well-positioned to help individuals achieve a better retirement. The workplace technology team is critical to achieving this mission and bringing it to life.
The Role: We seek an enthusiastic, results-driven candidate to serve as a Senior Technical Writer within the Workplace team. In this role, you help take our customer and internal focused services to new levels. You will work with partners across Technology, Product Management and Support to develop comprehensive documentation that meets our organizational standards and provides our teams and customers with deeper understanding of our technology and systems. The ability to communicate clearly at all levels, form strong relationships with stakeholders is critical for this role. This position is based in our Chicago office.
- Create a framework for organizing, cataloging and communicating information consistently across our entire Workplace organization
- Partner with our technology and product teams to obtain a deep understanding of our products and systems.
- Translate complex technical information into simple, polished and engaging content
- Identify all document repositories to determine best solution for improving and storing information in a centralized, easy to find manner
- Research, create and maintain templates to assist technical and product leaders in the creation of content relevant to their systems
- Document data structures, data flows and application architectures
- Establish and implement training processes and strategies
- Maintain business continuity and disaster recovery documentation
- Assist with client RFPs and RFIs
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant technical field
- 5+ years of experience as an effective technical writer
- Strong knowledge of common documentation tools like Visio, Wiki, Gliffy, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to learn quickly and understand complex technical topics/concepts
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal skills with a keen eye for detail
- Experience working with technical teams and engineers
002_MIMLLC Morningstar Investment Management LLC Legal Entity