Staff Writer - Tech News & Trends
Hello, We’re Built In
We unite companies and people around their shared passion for tech and the universal need for purpose.
We’re looking for a Staff Writer
We’re expanding our team of Staff Writers to produce compelling features for a sophisticated national audience in the tech sector and beyond. Some days might be spent reporting and writing a 2,000-word deep dive on the state of VR in healthcare, others researching the future of deep learning in artificial intelligence. Whatever the subject, you’ll work with a team of experienced journalists and SEO analysts to tell great stories about our ever-evolving industry. (Plus, there’s free lunch M-Th, competitive shuffleboard and cold brew on tap in our office!)
How you’ll contribute
- Writing and researching in-depth stories on leading technology industries and hot tech topics, including feature pieces and interviews with thought leaders.
- Creating detailed resource guides on technical subjects.
- Building and maintaining a regular content publishing schedule.
- Occasional editing.
What you need
- 2+ years professional writing experience for a print or online publication.
- Excellent writing and editing skills (please include 2-3 writing samples when applying — at least one example should show you can explain a highly complex topic in layman’s terms)
- Deep interest in both the technical side of tech and the trends/industries of the future
- Ability to think both holistically and analytically about your work. We are a goals-focused department and data informs our decisions, but we know data without context is useless. We rely on team members to bring to the table a fundamental understanding of their work and how it fits into the big picture.
- Experience conducting interviews by phone on deadline.
- Knowledge of AP style.
- Experience covering breaking news, though not required, is a plus.
What We Value
We’re revolutionizing tech recruitment. So we question everything, because the best answers sit just to the right of a question mark. That’s our heritage as a disruptive company — as a company whose future depends on our capacity to innovate with a sense of drive, purpose and urgency. If you join Built In, you will work from this set of values:
- Be Unreasonably Passionate. Our passion is borderline obsessive, and we’re ok with that. No one ever built anything great on a “meh.” We work with outsized passion to fulfill our mission.
- Be Humble. You don’t have all the answers. Luckily, you don’t have to. Don’t worry about being right. Be humble instead.
- Stay Curious. Curiosity is a springboard to the future. It can transform the wisp of an idea into a breakthrough. We ask “what if.” We work with wonder. It’s how we innovate.
- Lead with Solutions. Question everything. But offer solutions as you do. Raise issues. But propose a few answers. For every hole you poke, offer a way to patch it up.
- Own the Result. We have no time for blame or shame. When you stumble, own it, learn from it + get back to business.
- Do More. Do more than your job description. Take initiative. Take charge. No job is beneath you, and no job is too big. Be a leader and do more — do whatever it takes.
Built In is an equal employment opportunity employer and values diversity. Qualified candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, military or veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law