Our telematics data has opened the door to new ways of auto pricing: new data everywhere, new analytical approaches, and the massive computational power to finally put the two together. We're looking for actuaries that are ready to roll up their sleeves and get their hands dirty, building better models and analytics from the ground up.
We're looking for an Actuarial Analyst to make Root a nation-wide insurance provider by building, filing, and implementing initial rating plans in new auto and renters states. There's no playbook on how to do this; you'll be taking both statistical modeling and creative problem solving to incorporate insights into a final product. However, your role doesn't end once our product is live. Once in the market, you'll be monitoring and reporting on key market metrics, making strategic adjustments to meet Root's goals.
What you'll be doing
- Execute pricing initiatives including initial state-by-state roll-out and rate changes for auto and renters products
- Support rate filings and engineering implementations
- Use statistical models to develop rating plans and recommendations for pricing improvements (example: rate indications work, limit studies, etc)
- Build monitoring and reporting on new market metrics vs strategic goals
- Evaluate and analyze market data to make competitive strategic decisions
- Opportunities for growth with company into management or other more senior roles
What we're looking for
- 1+ years of P&C insurance experience in an actuarial role
- Demonstrable experience with R, Python or other modeling software packages
- Intermediate experience in SQL or other database software packages
What we'd prefer
- 2+ CAS/SOA exams
- Personal Auto/Home pricing experience
- Demonstrable experience building and validating predictive models (e.g. model selection, performance metric selection, cross-validation, bootstrapping)
- Rigorous statistical thinking within an alternative model framework
- Management experience (team, project, or product)
- Experienced candidates may be considered for team leadership role
At Root, we judge people based on the merit of their work, not who they are. Very few (if any!) people will fit every description; so if you are passionate about what this role entails, and are excited by solving real problems, we encourage you to apply; we want to learn about you, and what you can add to our team!
Who we are.
Root Insurance is the nation’s first licensed insurance carrier powered entirely by mobile. We were founded on the belief that the services you need for everyday life should serve you better. That’s why we base insurance coverages on you, not your demographic. It’s the way insurance should be. And it’s all conveniently in an app.
What draws people to Root.
We’re a venture-backed technology company. Our early success is in large part due to our unwavering standards in hiring. We recognize that our product is only as good as the people building and promoting it. We look for individuals who find solutions by going through the cycle of ideation to implementation with curiosity, rigor, and a highly analytical lens. Ask anyone who works here and you’ll hear similar reasons for why they joined:
Autonomy. For assertive self-starters, the opportunities to contribute are limitless.
Impact. By challenging the way it’s always been done, we solve problems that have a big impact on our business.
Collaboration. We encourage rich discussion and civil debate at every turn.
People. We are inspired by the collection of crazy-smart people around us