Applied Data Engineer at Civis Analytics
Applied Data Engineers are experts in creating elegant, maintainable, and extensible data pipelines and database architectures. They partner with Civis's Applied Data Science consultants -- the Applied Data Engineers make the data clean and available, and the Applied Data Scientists analyze and present the data to clients.
As an Applied Data Engineer, you will structure, transform and clean complex data sets to enable our Applied Data Science Team to deliver exceptional data science solutions to our clients. You will also collaborate internally and with our clients to build elegant and sustainable data pipelines for our clients.
- Ingest data using connectors built by our Engineering team and build new data connectors as required.
- Collaborate with clients and client-facing teams to define user requirements and database design specifications for our clients’ needs.
- Transform data based on business requirements.
- Apply data validation and/or software testing techniques to ensure data processes and pipelines are working properly.
- Create pipelines that deliver data error-free and on-time with features such as logging, fault tolerance, notifications, and scalability.
- Document and train others on data pipelines.
- Serve as a technical resource in resolving issues related to data pipelines.
- Work closely with client-facing teams.
- Develop your technical skills by working with our Engineering Team and other Applied Data Engineers
- Bachelor’s degree in an analytical subject (statistics, math, economics, physics, engineering, business, political or social science, computer science, etc.)
- Demonstrated experience working with databases and data transformations
- Proficiency in Python and SQL
- Ability to work as part of a cross-functional team to solve problems and build solutions
- Strong communication and teamwork skills
- US work authorization
- Experience working on data pipelines in support of data analytics or data science applications
- Demonstrated track record working with data warehouse concepts
- Experience with software development practices including unit testing, version control, code review, and Agile development
Who we are
At Civis, we have opportunities for applicants who are newcomers, seasoned professionals, and anywhere in between. Our teams are energized by complex challenges and value diversity of thought. Opportunities to stand out and inspire happen daily and we trust and encourage you to act on your ideas – no matter how big they are. We offer you the tools and community you need to do your best work. Each of us is committed to holding ourselves accountable for results, challenging the status quo and finding new ways to grow our company and each other.
Why join our team?
- The opportunity to be part of a growing tech startup focused on solving interesting and meaningful problems, invested in internal promotion, and committed to fostering a diverse, equal and inclusive workplace.
- Competitive benefits, including unlimited PTO, 401K match with immediate vesting, health, dental, and vision benefits, fully paid parental leave, breastfeeding support including breastmilk shipping services for traveling moms, commuter benefits, wellness initiatives including weekly group meditations, monthly on-site massage therapy, and pet insurance.
- To support employees in our now fully remote work environment, we also have expanded our virtual journal and book clubs, Donut Pals (organized virtual coffee meet-ups), Lightning Talks (5-minute presentations on anything you’d like), Lunch-and-Learns, and HR Open Discussions (bi-weekly meet-up where we discuss ideas and topics of the day in a casual format). We are also able to support and accommodate flexible work from home schedules to help employees juggle responsibilities at home.
Civis Analytics embraces the individuality of our employees and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact [email protected]
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.
EEO IS THE LAW