What we do
At Civis, we take a science-first approach to solving business problems using person-level data. With a blend of proprietary technology and statistical advisory services, we help public and private sector organizations find, understand and connect with the people they care about, so they can stop guessing and start using mathematical proof to guide decisions. We know others use “data science” and “analytics” as buzzwords, but at Civis we don’t stand for fluff, and we will always deliver scalable products and technologies — not PowerPoints — to drive your business forward. Learn more about Civis at www.civisanalytics.com.
To democratize data science so organizations can stop guessing and make decisions based on numbers and scientific fact.
About the Role
The Applied Data Science (ADS) team is the advisory arm of Civis Analytics, working closely with organizations to help solve their toughest challenges with data science. Due to our growth, we have a new role in our public sector practice, which provides data science solutions for Federal, as well as state and local clients.
ADS Leads play a pivotal role in powering Civis’ growth. You will lead end-to-end delivery of client solutions, including initial business development, problem scoping, and delivery. You will help grow Civis' business through delivering excellent work and identifying new strategic growth opportunities for the company. You will also manage, supervise and mentor a team of Data Scientists in the ADS practice to deliver custom analytic solutions to our clients. In addition, you will work across our engineering, social science, and data research teams, and have the support of our company’s 100+ data scientists and engineers to help bring cutting-edge predictive analytics to our public sector clients.
**This is a temporary, full-time, salaried position with benefits slated to end Dec. 31, 2020. There is a possibility of extension if the business requires it.**
Due to the uncertainty of COVID-19, all Civis offices are closed and all employees are remote for the foreseeable future. This is being closely monitored as things change and it’s likely our offices will reopen. Because of this uncertainty, we want to ensure candidates are open to relocating to one of our offices in the future, but other locations may be negotiable.
- Manage and lead a team of data scientists, as well as cross-functional client delivery teams, to provide consulting services that meet our client’s policy and delivery goals through the use of Civis’ services and technology
- Own engagements end-to-end for clients that may include Federal agencies, state and local organizations, educational institutions, and national non-profit foundations
- Grow Civis' business by delivering excellent work, identifying new strategic growth opportunities for the company, and developing expertise and credibility in public sector data science
- Manage the relationship with clients and client-facing communication. Communicates all facets of the work with clients of varying technical experience or familiarity with our methods
- Manage a team through the process of defining the client’s problem, designing a solution, and delivering high-quality work
- Lead the research design of their projects, including statistical and data management methods, soliciting input from subject matter experts when needed
- Ensure that all deliverables provide substantive value to clients, adhere to our standards, and further our mission
- Manage and mentor teams of data scientists and analysts
- Travel requirements <25%
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant subject
- A strong foundation in statistics and data analytics expertise in survey research and statistical modeling. Familiarity with machine learning, and causal inference a plus. This will be demonstrated by having at least 5 years of experience working with large data sets to solve real-world public sector or business challenges
- Experience presenting in front of key business leaders
- Experience managing teams to complete products within scope and on time
- Proficiency in SQL and/or statistical packages (R, Python, STATA, etc)
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Demonstrated history of delivering high-quality analytic work to decision makers
- Experience with mentoring or leading teams or projects
- Advanced degree in an analytical subject (statistics, math, economics, physics, business, etc.)
- Experience working in public sector analytics or data science, or in a consulting or advisory firm that serves these clients
- Experience writing proposals, building cost and pricing estimates of proposed work, and selling the work to new or existing clients
Why join our team?
- The opportunity to be part of a growing tech startup focused on solving interesting and meaningful problems, invested in internal promotion, and committed to fostering a diverse, equal and inclusive workplace.
- Competitive benefits, including unlimited PTO, 401K match with immediate vesting, health, dental, and vision benefits, paid parental leave, breastfeeding support including breastmilk shipping services for traveling moms, flexible work from home policy, commuter benefits, wellness initiatives including weekly group meditations, monthly on-site massage therapy, and pet insurance.
Civis Analytics embraces the individuality of our employees and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact [email protected]
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.
EEO IS THE LAW