Associate Actuary at Root
CURRENT ROOT EMPLOYEES - Please apply using the career page in Workday. This career site is for external applicants only.
We are looking for an Associate Actuary. As an Associate Actuary, this should be the time of your life. New data everywhere, new analytical approaches, and the massive computational power to finally put the two together.
But, if you're working at most insurance companies, odds are you aren't solving these problems. At Root, we are using data and analytics to change the way the insurance industry works.
We're rapidly growing and expanding into new markets. In this role, you will be building our pricing models from the ground up.
Root is a "work where it works best" company. Meaning we will support you working in whatever location that works best for you across the US. We will continue to have our headquarters in Columbus and offices in other locations to give more flexibility and more choice about how we live and work.
How You Will Make an Impact
- Direct pricing initiatives include segmentation model implementation and state expansion.
- Partner with DS to ensure cross-team collaboration is successful and cultivate an environment of learning between the two teams.
- Drive automation and methodology improvements on existing tools and practices (example: rate indications work, trend analysis, limit studies, CAT, etc.)
- Evaluate and analyze market data to make competitive strategic decisions.
- Opportunities for growth with the company into management or other more senior roles.
What You Will Need to Succeed
- ACAS designation or demonstrable equivalent actuarial knowledge.
- 5+ years of P&C actuarial insurance experience.
- 3 years of pricing insurance experience.
- Practical predictive modeling experience.
- Demonstrable expert knowledge in statistical analysis.
- Demonstrable experience with modeling in R, Python, or other modeling software packages.
- Intermediate experience in SQL/PostgreSQL or other database software packages.
- Personal Auto/Home pricing experience.
- Management experience (team, project, or product).
- Master's or otherwise sophisticated understanding in Statistics/Applied Mathematics.
Don't meet every single requirement?
Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At Root, Inc., we are dedicated to building a diverse and inclusive workplace, so if you're excited about this role but your past experience doesn't align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway!
At Root, we judge people based on the merit of their work, not who they are. If you are passionate about what this role entails and solving real problems, we encourage you to apply. We want to learn about you and what you can add to our team.
Who we are
We're harnessing the power of technology to revolutionize insurance. Using machine learning and mobile telematic platforms, we've built one of the most innovative FinTech companies in the world. And we're just getting started.
What draws people to Root
Our success is in large part due to our unwavering standards in hiring. We recognize that our products are only as good as the people building and promoting them. We want individuals who find solutions by going through the cycle of ideation to implementation with curiosity, rigor, and an analytical lens. Ask anyone who works here and you'll hear similar reasons for why they joined:
Autonomy-for assertive self-starters, the opportunities to contribute are limitless.
Impact-by challenging the way it's always been done, we solve problems that have a big impact on our business.
Collaboration-we encourage rich discussion and civil debate at every turn.
People-we are inspired by the collection of crazy-smart people around us.