We believe a large part of building an effective insurance company can be solved with a principled quantitative framework. We are committed to the rigorous development and effective deployment of modern statistical machine learning methods to problems in the insurance industry.
The Pricing R&D team is looking for a Data Analyst to continuously improve our risk segmentation. In this role, you will work closely with Data Scientists and Actuaries to increase the maturity of our model development lifecycle through iterative improvements to both pre- and post-deployment analytics. You will leverage third-party data to enhance our pricing models through creating novel, industry-leading segmentation. At the center of the pricing-underwriting ecosystem, you will create robust monitoring frameworks for KPIs to assess the performance of our business and recommend data-driven improvements.
The ideal candidate will have deep analytical and business acumen, with strong programming skills and high quantitative aptitude.
- Generate and interpret descriptive statistics to make business recommendations
- Standardize and automate the analytics pipeline for use across the pricing organization
- Forecast the impact of proposed pricing model updates to KPIs
- Analyze the business impact of segmentation updates to recommend pricing model improvements
- Perform deep-dive analyses into third-party data to generate novel segmentation opportunities
- Inform underwriting strategy through identifying trends and building robust fraud analytics
- 1+ years of experience in data analytics
- Strong programming skills in R or Python
- Advanced skills in SQL with the ability to write complex and optimized queries
- Analytical mindset, with strong problem solving and critical thinking skills
- Exceptional communicator and storyteller
- 3+ years of experience in P&C insurance analytics
- Experience in R or Python package development
- Experience with large-scale analytics on AWS platforms
At Root, we judge people based on the merit of their work, not who they are. Very few (if any!) people will fit every description; so if you are passionate about what this role entails, and are excited by solving real problems, we encourage you to apply; we want to learn about you, and what you can add to our team!
Who we are.
Root Insurance is the nation’s first licensed insurance carrier powered entirely by mobile. We were founded on the belief that the services you need for everyday life should serve you better. That’s why we base insurance coverages on you, not your demographic. It’s the way insurance should be. And it’s all conveniently in an app.
What draws people to Root.
We’re a venture-backed technology company. Our early success is in large part due to our unwavering standards in hiring. We recognize that our product is only as good as the people building and promoting it. We look for individuals who find solutions by going through the cycle of ideation to implementation with curiosity, rigor, and a highly analytical lens. Ask anyone who works here and you’ll hear similar reasons for why they joined:
Autonomy. For assertive self-starters, the opportunities to contribute are limitless.
Impact. By challenging the way it’s always been done, we solve problems that have a big impact on our business.
Collaboration. We encourage rich discussion and civil debate at every turn.
People. We are inspired by the collection of crazy-smart people around us