Data Governance Engineer at Clearcover
Clearcover is the smarter car insurance company. We use powerful technology to offer everyday drivers better coverage for less money. We’re proud to be one of the fastest growing startups in Chicago, and we’re currently looking to add a few more extraordinary people to our team.
Reporting to the Data Governance Lead, the Data Steward will support the implementation and maintenance of the next phase of data governance for our unified data/analytics platform. This person will work to enforce quality, security, observability, and discovery across our entire data stack. Our data comes from a multitude of sources, including our eventing pipeline, write-ahead logs, APIs and legacy flat files. Our stakeholders rely on us daily to make data access and reliability a strength of our business. This role will help lead the charge in making sure our data is used appropriately and reliably.
What will you do?
- Implement workflows to collect, connect, and annotate source to destination data pipeline components to leverage for discovery, lineage, auditing, and observability.
- Building and maintaining the core datasets, documentation, and infrastructure used for data governance.
- Ensuring privacy, compliance, and security protocols for our data through designing best practices and programmatic workflows to enforce role based access control to our data.
- Integrating data governance practices into the rest of the technical organization and products.
- Delivering tooling and processes for using data governance artifacts, securing data access, and ensuring data reliability.
- Providing technical mentorship to fellow Engineers and Analysts.
What do you need?
- Passionate about data integrity and reliability.
- Team oriented, possessing strong collaboration skills.
- Dedication to continuous learning as a core component of the position.
- Experience writing documentation on data assets such as databases, reports, and workflows.
- Experience with 1+ Cloud Data Warehousing such as Redshift, BigQuery, and Snowflake.
- Proficient with Python for backend, scripting, and/or data pipeline development . Bonus points for contributions to open source projects.
- Proficient with SQL for analytical querying and data processing.
- Familiarity with BI tools: Periscope, Tableau, Looker.
- Familiarity with containerization: Docker, ECS, Kubernetes.
- Familiarity with cloud computing/infrastructure on platforms such as AWS, GCP, and Azure.
What's in it for you?
- Unlimited vacation, we hire adults
- Equity for all employees, so you own a piece of the pie too
- Dental and Vision, we've got you covered 100%
- Medical, we cover the vast majority of your premiums to make the cost of you and your family's coverage affordable. Plus, we contribute to your HSA and HRA (cha-ching)
- We invest in your future by contributing 3% of your salary to a 401(K), even if you don't
- Come to work pre-taxed through our FSA commuter benefits
- and yes, we have unlimited LaCroix, beer, snacks and the occasional ice cream social
Clearcover is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) that welcomes and encourages all applicants to apply regardless of age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify and/or expression, national origin, disability, veteran status, marital or parental status, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy or other reasons prohibited by law.