Data Scientist / Data Engineer at Validate Health
Validate Health is a healthcare analytics company on a mission to improve accessibility to healthcare through industry transition to value based care. Validate was co-founded by a prominent healthcare actuary advising on matters of health economics policy and the federal government's (HHS/CMS) healthcare data liaison to industry. Validate is building its analytics platform that encompasses the accumulated wisdom of its experts and clients, in order to empower medical organizations to manage their financial risk, while improving the clinical outcomes of their patients. We're looking for talented and driven contributors to join our team and be a part of this important moment in the healthcare industry.
We currently have two open positions that differ slightly. A job description of each can be found below:
DATA ENGINEER / BACK-END DEVELOPER
As a Data Engineer, you’ll get to play a key role in shaping the delivery of powerful data-driven products that enable future healthcare models.
▪ Leverage a wide range of software and frameworks: Python, Anaconda stack (Jupyter Notebook, NumPy, Pandas, MatPlotLib/Bokeh, SciPy, Scikit-Learn), R, SAS, Postgres, Dask, Spark, TensorFlow and several AWS services (EC2, RDS, S3, Lambda, Redshift) to...
▪ Automate the processing of patient-level healthcare transactions, third party data sources and aggregated public health data
▪ Ingest, transform, cleanse and augment internal and external data assets. Build algorithms for fuzzy matching, de-duplication and rule-based de-identification.
▪ Implement mathematical models using Python data science tools. Generate automated simulations and forecasts of large number of scenarios. Fully indulge your love for math, statistics and logical problem solving. Find ways to apply machine learning to new areas.
▪ Generate insightful and innovative visualizations and output reports that tell a “data story” and support your findings.
▪ Perform data modeling and performance optimization on relational databases. Write SQL for defining database objects and performing manipulations.
▪ Continuously learn by investigating and adopting new technologies. We love to experiment with cool technologies!
The ideal candidate would have:
▪ Computer Science or Mathematics degree from a respected university program. Masters preferred or Bachelors with history of accomplishments.
▪ Two experience levels available:
— 5+ years of full-time experience or demonstrated accomplishments in relevant subject areas.
— Recent university graduate with Computer Science or Mathematics degree from a top tier university, with strong aptitude for these subject areas and demonstrated portfolio of relevant projects.
▪ Demonstrated mastery with Python and its data science ecosystem. (Knowledge of other mathematics environments such as R, SAS, SPSS or Matlab is a plus.)
▪ Ability to design and build scalable data ingestion and processing automation from the ground up using open source languages, libraries and frameworks.
▪ High level of expertise in SQL, relational database optimization, stored procedures and data modeling.
▪ Mastery of Linux command line, shell utilities and Git / GitHub.
▪ Aptitude, attitude, curiosity and grit that's shines in a startup environment.
EVEN BETTER IF...
Extra credit if you also have any of the following:
▪ Experience with scalable cloud data services. AWS RDS and Redshift are preferred, but Azure or GCP are good too.
▪ Understanding of methods to ingest and process non-relational JSON and XML formatted data.
▪ Ability to create and serve up APIs using Python and Flask, as well as integrate with 3rd party REST services.
▪ Understanding of job scheduling frameworks and workflow automation.
▪ Familiarity with concepts used by ETL tools (such as SSIS, Informatica and Talend) is a plus, but an ability to create more purpose-built solutions by leveraging open source tools.
▪ Knowledge of test driven development practices.
▪ Proficient at object oriented programming.
▪ Desire to be an expert in healthcare and passionate about making an impact in this field. Experience with healthcare claims and clinical data is beneficial. Understanding of HIPAA compliance is a plus.
STATISTICIAN / DATA SCIENTIST
As a Statistician / Data Scientist you would be at the forefront of enabling new value based healthcare models and deliver constantly evolving analytics services to the industry. You’ll have an excellent opportunity for professional growth in the fields of healthcare economics, quantitative analytics and related technologies.
Perform in scenario modeling, forecasting and simulations on large datasets. Work on challenging problems in pricing, reserving and risk quantifications of commercial and government value based healthcare models.
Learn and apply rules and regulation around government healthcare programs, like Medicare and Medicaid. Learn and apply models for commercial programs and contracts.
Use modern programming languages (such as R, Python, SAS, SQL) to work with large datasets to automate regulatory, economic and actuarial modeling. Gather and analyze large medical claims, public health datasets and financial data.
Participate in implementation, maintenance and analysis of models, forecasts, studies and systems which use actuarial principles for the purposes of pricing, underwriting, statistics, reserving and forecasting.
Develop written and oral presentations that provide basic information for decision making. Participate in defining features and capabilities of analytical products.
Continuously learn by experimenting with statistical models and investigating scalable data science technologies.
BS or MS in Mathematics or Statistics from a top 20 university statistics program
Demonstration of exceptional academic accomplishments or a portfolio of projects in statistics and relevant technologies.
Experience with and enthusiasm for Open Source tools
Must have prior knowledge of SQL or able to learn it quickly upon hire
Desire to be an expert in healthcare economics and passionate about making an impact in this field.
Must be willing to try a fun "challenge" early in the interview process to help us understand your level of proficiency. We give you a handful of the problems like those we enjoy solving every day. It may cover statistics, actuarial topics (if relevant) and related technologies (such as Python, R and SQL).
- Remote first culture
- Fun, energetic and rewarding learning environment
- Opportunity for continuous learning and experimentation through daily team whiteboard sessions
- Encouragement of personal projects
- Stock options
- Salary that grows with the company
- Health coverage
- Conveniently located in the Merchandise Mart in the Loop
We are currently only accepting candidates based in the US / North America and available for immediate full-time employment.
- Send in your latest resume to [email protected]
- Write a note explaining your long-term career goals and what makes you particularly interested in Validate and this position specifically.
- Please include links to LinkedIn and GitHub if applicable, and any other links that you feel speak to who you are and your capabilities, such as publications, blog or portfolio.
- Specify the date you’re available to start work, visa/citizenship status, and any sponsorship requirements.
- Indicate that you’re willing to take an aptitude test.
- Add “Data Engineer via BIC” OR "Data Scientist via BIC" to the subject line.