Data Scientist II (Tech, Surveys) at Civis Analytics
What we do
At Civis, we take a science-first approach to solving business problems using person-level data. With a blend of proprietary technology and statistical advisory services, we help public and private sector organizations find, understand and connect with the people they care about, so they can stop guessing and start using mathematical proof to guide decisions. We know others use “data science” and “analytics” as buzzwords, but at Civis we don’t stand for fluff, and we will always deliver scalable products and technologies — not PowerPoints — to drive your business forward. Learn more about Civis at www.civisanalytics.com.
To democratize data science so organizations can stop guessing and make decisions based on numbers and scientific fact.
What we are looking for
Civis collects millions of survey responses every year for political forecasting, message testing, brand tracking, and much more. As a Data Scientist on the Surveys Team, you will be responsible for the data science needed to turn these survey data into insights. You will be responsible for developing production tools to clean, weight, and analyze survey data. You will also develop and maintain novel reference data sets for survey weighting. You will be working as part of a cross-functional team of data scientists and engineers to implement data science methods as production tools that will be used by teams across Civis.
You will support our Applied Data Science team to ensure that our survey methods are effective across political, public sector, advocacy, and commercial domains.
A successful candidate will be able to work independently and in close collaboration with other data scientists and engineers. The role requires a person who can think critically about the technical and methodological implications of their work, and is enthusiastic about building tools to enable data scientists and research managers.
- Develop and maintain survey infrastructure in a cross-functional team of data scientists and engineers
- Productionize novel and off the shelf data science models using Civis Platform
- Provide support to internal users and act as a subject matter expert in statistical methods relevant to survey analysis
- Validate our weighting and analysis methods using known sources of truth and simulation studies
- Research and prototype novel approaches for survey weighting, forecasting, and causal inference
- Identify possible new data sources for survey weighting, and automate refreshes of existing data
- Contribute to knowledge sharing and training across the company
- Master’s/Ph.D. in a quantitative field, or 2+ years work experience in data science, statistics, or machine learning
- Experience working in applied statistics, machine learning, or scientific analysis
- Experience writing production code in R or Python
- Enjoys communicating about technical topics to a non-technical audience
- Collaborative mindset
- Self-directed learner
- US work authorization
- Willing to learn and work with both R and Python
- Extensive experience in at least one of the following: machine learning engineering (e.g., developing and maintaining models in production), working with survey data (e.g., survey weighting), causal inference
Why join our team?
- The opportunity to be part of a growing tech startup focused on solving interesting and meaningful problems, invested in internal promotion, and committed to fostering a diverse, equal and inclusive workplace.
- Competitive benefits, including unlimited PTO, 401(k) match with immediate vesting, health, dental, and vision benefits, paid parental leave, breastfeeding support including breastmilk shipping services for traveling moms, flexible work from home policy, commuter benefits, wellness initiatives including weekly group meditations, monthly on-site massage therapy, and pet insurance.
- Modern office, conveniently located in the Loop. Close to public transportation, great restaurants and beautiful city views.
Civis Analytics embraces the individuality of our employees and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact [email protected]
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.
EEO IS THE LAW