We believe a large part of building an effective insurance company can be solved with a principled quantitative framework. Our Data Scientists are committed to the rigorous development and effective deployment of modern statistical machine learning methods to problems in the insurance industry.
One of our core data science challenges is understanding driving behavior from smartphone sensor data. Dealing with the flood of sensor data requires us to build large-scale systems that ride the big data wave rather than being submerged by it. There is no shortage of computational and statistical challenges to tackle.
We're looking for a Data Scientist to help turn our driving data into new guidance for our pricing and underwriting. As part of our "Telematics Scores" team, you'll uncover new telematics features that may indicate future risk. By identifying and owning research projects, you'll build new models and insights to more accurately score our drivers. Furthermore, you'll have an opportunity to innovate using telematics data outside of pricing and underwriting use cases.
- Improve our telematics pricing and underwriting algorithms through principled data science methods.
- Develop new ways to extract risk information from granular telematics signals.
- Pinpoint abnormal user behaviors.
- Deploy and measure the performance of your models in a production environment.
- PhD in a quantitative discipline and/or 3+ years of applying advanced quantitative techniques in industry.
- Strong demonstrable knowledge of topics such as statistical inference, numerical linear algebra, machine learning, and numerical optimization.
- Strong programming skills with experience using modern packages in Python. SQL a plus
- Exceptional communicator and storyteller.
- Demonstrated experience building, validating, and applying statistical machine learning and signal processing methods to real world problems.
At Root, we judge people based on the merit of their work, not who they are. Very few (if any!) people will fit every description; so if you are passionate about what this role entails, and are excited by solving real problems, we encourage you to apply; we want to learn about you, and what you can add to our team!
Who we are.
Root Insurance is the nation’s first licensed insurance carrier powered entirely by mobile. We were founded on the belief that the services you need for everyday life should serve you better. That’s why we base insurance coverages on you, not your demographic. It’s the way insurance should be. And it’s all conveniently in an app.
What draws people to Root.
We’re a venture-backed technology company. Our early success is in large part due to our unwavering standards in hiring. We recognize that our product is only as good as the people building and promoting it. We look for individuals who find solutions by going through the cycle of ideation to implementation with curiosity, rigor, and a highly analytical lens. Ask anyone who works here and you’ll hear similar reasons for why they joined:
Autonomy. For assertive self-starters, the opportunities to contribute are limitless.
Impact. By challenging the way it’s always been done, we solve problems that have a big impact on our business.
Collaboration. We encourage rich discussion and civil debate at every turn.
People. We are inspired by the collection of crazy-smart people around us