Lead Data Engineer at Jellyvision
JELLYVISION NEEDS AN AMAZING LEAD DATA ENGINEER
We here at Jellyvision are the proud parents of ALEX®, an interactive employee communications platform that happens to share some DNA (and a sense of humor) with the smash-hit trivia video game YOU DON’T KNOW JACK, created by Jellyvision's founder. ALEX makes navigating tricky decisions—like choosing and using employee benefits or improving your financial wellness—easier, faster, and more helpful, not to mention entertaining. The success of the ALEX platform has exceeded our wildest dreams, (except for the part right before we woke up where our mom was riding a giraffe), which is why we need talented folks like you to help us help ALEX take over the world…er…continue to grow and succeed.
WHAT'S THE JOB?
- Jellyvision is currently searching for a Lead Data Engineer to add to our team. The ideal candidate is passionate about all things data and prefers to work in a collaborative environment. You’ve guided a team from a technical perspective in the implementation of a project or solution from beginning to end, promoting and enforcing best practices along the way. You’ve worked with a product manager to focus the engineering work towards accomplishing product driven goals. You’ve continued to contribute to the development / maintenance of the system(s) your team is responsible for.
WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
- Data-centric mindset — you are passionate about the entire lifecycle of analytical data (consumption, enrichment / transformation, aggregation, dissemination)
- Curiosity — you’re continually thinking of new and improved ways to accomplish the aforementioned workflow
- Communication — you can explain how and why you are doing what you do, regardless of the audience’s skill level
- Passion — your love of all things data, permeates whatever task(s) you take on
Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Guide creation of interactive visualization tools and dashboards
- Evangelize for, implement, and support a highly scalable framework for ingesting, transforming and enhancing data at web scale
- Develop a services based platform that can evolve and scale with the business
- Assist in the “productionization" of machine learning models and tooling that will assist in gaining new customer insights and facilitate data-driven decision making
- Own small to medium sized projects that impact the entire department
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field
- Experience leading a team of data engineers, achieving a balance between mentor and engineer
- Ability to work with a product organization in guiding engineering tasks towards product-centric goals
- Commitment to enforcing best practices on the team (testing, code reviews, constructive / meaningful PR feedback, etc)
- Involvement in various aspects of architectural discussions and recommendations to improve the nature of the data we capture and make available
- Desire to be a part of a collaborative team that gives and receives honest yet empathetic feedback
- Continually looking for new ways to “level up” the team, by advocating for a new language, tool, process, education, etc.
- A passion for DevOps and an appreciation for continuous integration / deployment
- A passion for QA and an understanding that testing is not someone else’s responsibility
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work using Agile methodologies
- Ability to work quickly and collaboratively in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Experience using big data solutions in an AWS environment
- Experience across the stack including front-end libraries and frameworks: React, Redux, etc
- Participation in our on-call rotation. At present this means little to no time commitment outside of normal business hours
NICE TO HAVES
- 5+ years leading a team of engineers to build data intensive system, and then put them into production
- 6+ years of system building experience
- Experience collaborating with data scientists and data science initiatives
- Experience working with PII / PHI / Healthcare data
- Experience automating infrastructure and build processes
We share a commitment to excellence and a desire to work in a comfortable, friendly atmosphere, so we only hire nice, bright, funny people who are willing to work hard. Our credo is a simple one: be helpful. And we think we can be most helpful if our workforce is as diverse in thought, perspective, and culture as the people who use our products. We are looking to add amazing folks to our team who will bring diversity across many lines, including race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity, sex, and country of origin.
ARE THERE ANY PERKS? Yes, we love perks.
- Competitive pay, 401(k) with matching and benefits. We pay 100% of the cost of premiums for medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance for our employees (as long as you qualify for our tobacco-free discount; if you’re a tobacco user, your medical premiums will be higher than $0). We also cover a really nice chunk of the cost of premiums for spouse/dependent medical, dental and vision insurance.
- Casual dress and a flexible schedule. Come in a sweatshirt, jeans, whatever, like everyone else here.
- Creative work environment. We are lucky to work in a place that is full of intelligent, talented and innovative folks. Although most hours the place is deathly quiet (we're a focused bunch), this is punctuated with hilarious outbursts and general merriment, which makes a nice way to spend the day.
- Free food. Every week, we stock our kitchen with free healthy snack foods, and we have a catered lunch every other week to give people a reason to hang out and eat together.
- Easy transportation and lots of love for folks who bike to work. We’re really close to the North/Clybourn red line stop and the Halsted (#8) bus (right by the Apple Store and Mega Whole Foods too), and we have a transit FSA that allows you to dedicate pre-tax dollars to public transportation expenses. A number of our employees like to bike to work, so we also have bike storage, showers and lockers in the office. And for those without their own bike in the city, we offer free divvy memberships – complete with Jellyvision bike helmets you can borrow from the office.
- Did we mention our yoga class? We bring a pro instructor right to the office. Fully subsidized by Jellyvision and fully optional, btw.
- Oh! And we have a massage chair. Not just any massage chair, my friend. It’s the HumanTouch HT 5320 WholeBody™ Massage Chair. Feeling a little stiff? Sit down. Relax. Feel better? Good. Okay, back to work.
AND HOW DO I APPLY?
We look forward to hearing about you and what you do. Make sure your application includes:
- A cover letter that highlights three reasons you think you’d be great for the gig, focusing on how your past experience has prepared you for this kind of position. Writing is key to all we do, and we weigh cover letters heavily. We love a cover letter that really shows us your personality (check out our company bios to see the wide range of personalities we’ve already got in house), but don’t stress if you’re not a comedian. You don’t have to be funny. Just be yourself. We’re mostly interested in learning who you are, what you love to do, and why you’d love to do it here with us.
- Your resume
You will receive an auto-reply confirming that we've received your application.
Please know that every single application we receive is read by a real live human being. However that kind of thoughtful review takes time, so it may take us a little while to get back to you (but we will, we promise). In the meantime, NO FOLLOW UP PHONE CALLS OR EMAILS, PLEASE. It’s not that we don’t love hearing from you. It’s just that time spent responding to follow ups could be spent…well…reading your application. Please rest assured that if you received a confirmation from Recruiting Robot, we’ve got your application, and will get back to you really soon. We knew you’d understand.
If you still have pressing questions in the meantime, please feel free to check out our handy-dandy FAQ page!
Thanks for your interest in Jellyvision!