Lead Software Engineer-Data, ETL, Ab Initio at Discover
Discover. A brighter future.
With Discover, you’ll have the chance to make a difference at one of the world’s leading digital banking and payments companies. From Day 1, you’ll do meaningful work you’re passionate about, with the support and resources you need for success. We value what makes each employee unique and provide a collaborative, team-based culture that gives everyone an opportunity to shine. Be the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future, while building the future you want, here at Discover.
The Customer Engagement value stream at Discover is looking for an experienced Lead Software Engineer - Data. We are modernizing our Marketing Technology require technical development and leadership across our technology implementations to transforming our customer facing systems and marketing. The transformation will enable real-time data which provides Discover the capability to have relevant, timely, and personalized conversations with our customers.
Develops and maintains full stack solutions to fit business needs. Full stack solutions require one or more of the following: front-end (user interfaces), back-end (APIs), database and DevOps development. This position focuses primarily on modernizing data sources to Snowflake and other Cloud based data systems.
Working in the Marketing Technology space, the Lead Software Engineer Data developer solutions move, transform, and validate data between systems, both internal to Discover Financial Services and with external data sources. The Lead Software Engineer position leads the technical design, development, integration, and testing efforts for ETL to create quality solutions that meet the business requirements. Other responsibilities include: mentoring other Data Engineers, preparing detailed and creating technical design plans.
Develops and maintains full stack solutions to fit business needs. Full stack solutions require one or more of the following: front-end (user interfaces), back-end (APIs), database and devops development. Works directly with business partners to understand business requirements. Works independently or with own team to innovate on and advocate for best practices within the team. Designs complex solutions and leads them from inception to production within the agile team.
- Develops and maintains complex front-ends with a focus on user experience
- Develops and maintains backend systems
- Works with key stakeholders to design complex solutions and lead from inception to production
- Creates and maintains devops processes, application infrastructure, and utilizes cloud services (including database systems and models)
- Innovates on and advocates for best practices and improved team processes; mentors junior team members
- Supports live systems to ensure business continuity
What You’ll Do
- Modernize data systems to modern platforms including Snowflake and Customer Data Platform (CDP)
- Develop and maintain full stack solutions to fit business needs ― full stack solutions require one or more of the following: front-end (user interfaces), back-end (APIs), database and DevOps development.
- Work directly with business partners to understand business requirements. Work independently or with own team to innovate and advocate for best practices within the team.
- Design complex solutions and lead them from inception to production within the Agile team.
How You’ll Do It
- Lead and take hands-on ownership such as ETL development, data modeling, and integration.
- Perform the technical design, development, integration, and testing efforts for data using various development languages and tools to create quality solutions that meet the business requirements
- Resolve strategic data integration issues, lead data quality and stewardship,
- Lead code review sessions & create technical design plans
- Optimize the performance of ETL processes and scripts by working with other technical staff as needed and document data solution and processes
- Creates and maintains DevOps processes, application infrastructure, and utilizes cloud services (including database systems and models)
- Develop and maintain complex front-ends focused on user experience.
- Develop and maintain back-end systems.
- Work with key stakeholders to design complex solutions and lead from inception to production.
- Create and maintain DevOps processes, application infrastructure, and utilize cloud services (including database systems and models).
- Innovate on and advocate for best practices and improved team processes.
- Mentor junior team members.
- Support live systems to ensure business continuity.
- Bachelor’s degree in information technology or related field
- 6+ years of experience in computer science, information technology or related field
- In lieu of degree, 8+ years of experience in computer science, information technology or related field
Bonus Points/Nice to have
- 6 or more years of work experience in enterprise data environment
- Experience with event driven architecture (e.g. Kafka)
- Expertise with the design and development of ETL data integration solutions, Ab Initio ETL development
- Experience working with Unica for marketing segmentation
- Expertise with open-source, ETL scripting and processes and related tools
- Experience working with Software as a Service platforms
- Experience evaluating and managing vendor software offerings such as Adobe Experience Cloud (Analytics, Experience Manager, Target)
- Knowledge with AWS, Snowflake and other Cloud-related technologies is a plus
- Experience with Teradata, Oracle, MariaDB, PostgreSQL
- Big Data stacks/ecosystem including Kafka, Python, Spark, NoSQL
- Prior COBOL experience? Awesome!
- Strong team player with willingness to collaborate and lead in Agile development
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Strong capability to execute tasks with quality
- Strong communication and decision-making skills
- Experience as part of an Agile engineering or development team
- Strong understanding of object-oriented principles with an ability to write clean code
- Strong experience working with a relational database and NoSQL database
- Strong experience with CI/CD pipelines with Jenkins or similar; Git/GitHub; Artifactory
- Proven skills in high availability and scalability design, as well as performance monitoring
- Experience developing and implementing API service architecture
- Experience in working in a cloud environment such as AWS, GCP or Azure.
- Understanding of messaging systems like MQ, Rabbit MQ, Kafka, or Kinesis.
- Strong experience of developing multi-threaded and synchronization application
- Build secure web applications with user authentication
- Understanding of software testing principles and methodologies
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.