Lead Software Engineer - Full Stack at Discover
Discover. A brighter future.
With Discover, you’ll have the chance to make a difference at one of the world’s leading digital banking and payments companies. From Day 1, you’ll do meaningful work you’re passionate about, with the support and resources you need for success. We value what makes each employee unique and provide a collaborative, team-based culture that gives everyone an opportunity to shine. Be the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future, while building the future you want, here at Discover.
Discover Financial Services is seeking a Lead Software Engineer to join our Bank Data Operations team. Engineers will develop and maintain full stack solutions to meet business needs. Full stack solutions require one or more of the following: front-end (user interfaces), back-end (APIs), database, and dev ops development. Successful candidates will work closely with our business partners to understand their data needs, design and help the team build pipelines using Next-Gen tools & capabilities. You will strive to achieve operational excellence and efficient ways to manage projects and support production. You will design complex solutions and lead them from inception to production within the agile team. The ideal candidate will be passionate about Discover Financial Service’s data and its mission.
What you'll do
- Develop and maintain full stack solutions to fit business needs ― full stack solutions require one or more of the following: front-end (user interfaces), back-end (APIs), database and DevOps development.
- Work directly with business partners to understand business requirements. Work independently or with own team to innovate and advocate for best practices within the team.
- Design complex solutions and lead them from inception to production within the Agile team.
- Supports engineering leadership with the creation and enhancement of data solutions enabling seamless integration and flow of data across the ecosystem
- Provides senior level technical consulting to peer data engineers during design and development for highly complex and critical data initiatives
- Provides leadership and senior level architectural direction in devising solutions for complex requirements
- Designs, develops, and tests the following using open sources tools:
- Data ingestion frameworks
- Data processing and transformation frameworks
- Real time processing solutions
- Provides support for deployed data applications and analytical models
- Promotes a risk-aware culture to ensure efficient and effective risk and compliance management practices by adhering to required standards and processes
- Works independently or with own team to innovate on and advocate for best practices within the team and department
- Works directly with business product owners and partners to understand and clarify business requirements
How You’ll Do It
- Develop and maintain complex front-ends focused on user experience.
- Develop and maintain back-end systems.
- Work with key stakeholders to design complex solutions and lead from inception to production.
- Create and maintain DevOps processes, application infrastructure, and utilize cloud services (including database systems and models).
- Innovate on and advocate for best practices and improved team processes.
- Mentor junior team members.
- Support live systems to ensure business continuity.
Qualifications You’ll Need
- Bachelor’s degree in information technology or related field
- 6+ years of experience in computer science, information technology or related field
- In lieu of degree, 8+ years of experience in computer science, information technology or related field
Bonus Points If You Have
- AWS / EMR /Lambda / S3
- ETL tools
- Strong verbal and written communication
- Change Data Capture tools
- Ab Initio
- Snowflake / Teradata
- Agile methodology
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.