Manager of Software Development, Data and Analytics at RedShelf
Founded in 2012 and recently named one of the nation’s fastest-growing private businesses by Inc. Magazine, RedShelf is a Chicago-based EdTech company helping to make education both more affordable and more effective through the use of digital instructional resources. Partnering with more than 400 publishers and 1,900 campuses nationwide, we provide leading-edge digital course materials and an end-to-end Content Delivery System for effortlessly distributing those materials.
We are looking for a Manager of Software Development, Data and Analytics who is excited about leading, inspiring, and mentoring an engineering team. The technical and cross-functional problems in this role are equally as important, meaning this manager will need to develop partnerships with other teams to establish empathy and understand their use cases.
- 3-5 years of experience in data modeling and developing with Python
- 2+ years of engineering management experience building productive, high functioning teams. You should be able to describe why these teams were high functioning and what you specifically did to ensure engineers felt productive
- Partners with Team Leads, Technical Architects, and DevOps within RedShelf to ensure architecture decisions adhere to our best practices
- Must have an understanding of data architecture, streaming technologies and the ability to help lead the design and implementation of data ingestion pipelines, data warehousing strategies and supporting models and structures
- Familiarity with visualization tools such as PowerBI and Domo and the ability to navigate the technical details of integrations between external systems and ours
- Possesses deep SQL skills and knowledge of ETL tools and overall best practices
- Willingness and desire to work across technical and non-technical teams to translate existing data into meaningful, generalized models
- Experience operating in a fully cloud-based environment, preferably AWS
- Will become the "go-to" person on technical questions and troubleshooting issues
- Love helping engineers develop new skills and advance in their careers. You don’t shy away from performance conversations and you recognize the relationship between objective feedback and career growth.
- Must be able to lead an offshore team during design, development, testing, and deployment of all types of projects
- Work with Agile metrics to understand the current velocity of the team and help the team have iterative maturity progress be as efficient as possible, without risking quality
- You are a very strong verbal and nonverbal communicator. You’re adept at understanding complex technical concepts and helping teams make decisions to move forward as well as communicating those decisions up
- Proven ability to rapidly learn new technologies, developing and implementing proof of concepts
Other Desirable Skills/Experience:
- Experience with PowerBI and/or Domo
- Experience administering and developing against PostGreSQL
- Experience with AWS tooling and data technologies such as Lambda and RDS, and messaging and streaming technologies like SQS, Kafka, and RabbitMQ
- Experience with and an understanding of asynchronous, distributed architectures
- Experience with web analytics tools including Google Analytics, Google Tag Manager, and Google Search Console
RedShelf prides itself on maintaining an informal but fast-moving, hard-working, entrepreneurial culture. Our team members are smart, innovative, and passionate about improving education through digital technology.
We offer the best of both worlds: the energy and opportunity of a rapidly-growing organization, coupled with the stability of an extensive client base, strong financial backing, and proven track record of success. In addition to a forward-thinking environment with ample opportunity for professional and personal growth, our team members enjoy competitive compensation and benefit packages.
RedShelf is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, people of color, individuals with a disability, veterans, and others who would enrich the diversity of RedShelf are encouraged to apply.