Principal Data Scientist, Claims at Root
We believe a large part of building an effective insurance company can be solved with a systematic, quantitative framework. We are committed to the rigorous development and effective deployment of data science and machine learning methods to problems in the insurance industry.
We are looking for a senior-level Data Scientist to lend technical guidance, stretch the boundaries of existing paradigms, and challenge the status quo. In this role, you will own fundamental research of new capabilities for the Root Claims organization.
The ideal candidate will be curious, enterprising, and audacious, with a strong theoretical background in mathematics or statistics and a zest for cross-functional communication.
What you’ll achieve.
- Technical and thought leadership within the Data Science team
- Proof-of-concept research and rigorous value quantification
- Progression of minimum viable products to production solutions, with the option to grow a team to assist with execution
- Deployment of statistical and machine learning models within the claims space to reduce loss and expenses, e.g., fraud identification and referral, total loss classification and process optimizations
What we’re looking for.
- 7+ years of applying data science and machine learning methods in insurance claims are another operationally complex, multi-stakeholder environment
- Previous experience partnering with the claims organization of an insurance company, with a preference towards private passenger auto
- Strong, demonstrated experience building, validating and applying statistical machine learning methods
- Strong programming skills with expertise in Python or R
- Exceptional communicator and storyteller
- Demonstrable experience challenging the status quo and winning advocacy from technical and non-technical stakeholders