Principal Data Solution Architect at Discover
Discover. A brighter future.
With Discover, you’ll have the chance to make a difference at one of the world’s leading digital banking and payments companies. From Day 1, you’ll do meaningful work you’re passionate about, with the support and resources you need for success. We value what makes each employee unique and provide a collaborative, team-based culture that gives everyone an opportunity to shine. Be the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future, while building the future you want, here at Discover.
Designs and develops solutions to complex applications problems, system administration issues, or network concerns. Performs systems management and integration functions.
What You’ll Do
In this role, you will be a lead contributing member to a team that works on an idea from conception to implementation with next generation technologies. This is a varied role that will require diving into all areas, so even if you don’t have the direct experience you should be comfortable with uncertainty and be excited to learn. A lot of what we build will be prototypes and proof-of-concepts for internal validation and learning. As such, we’d like you to be able to have some strong experience with a programming, distributed and cloud technologies.
Do you want to be on the forefront of the next BIG thing in advancing the analytic technology landscape? Are you driven by the thought of being involved at the ground level of an enterprise wide transformation? Do you enjoy solving complex business problems in a fast paced, collaborative environment?
Discover Financial Services is seeking a bright, driven, and talented individual to join a team of passionate and innovative technologists.
We’re looking for a well-rounded individual who’s not afraid to roll their sleeves up. We use some exciting tools and technologies – ideally you’ll know some, but we want you to be excited about what you’re doing.
How You’ll Do It
- Communicates with staff or clients to understand specific system requirements.
- Provides advice on project costs, design concepts, or design changes.
- Documents design specifications, installation instructions, and other system-related information.
- Verifies stability, inter-operability, portability, security, or scalability of system architecture.
- Collaborates with engineers or software developers to select appropriate design solutions or ensure the compatibility of system components.
- Coordinating lead of a high performing, agile team focused on next generation data & analytic technologies
- Primarily you’ll leading rapidly prototyping new products to test important customer features or demonstrate to key stakeholders. This will likely involve a lot of backend/front end work, but also a considerable amounts of data manipulation techniques – even some ML where it’s needed.
- You will lead all aspects of the software development lifecycle which includes estimating technical design, implementation, documentation, testing, and deployment
- Provide high level design and development plan of cloud-based solutions and is responsible for technical design and implementation of the architecture.
- Provide definition of current state architecture blueprints.
- Research new technologies and products for their applicability to business processes.
- You need to make sure our apps are enterprise-ready, secure and compliant, but lightweight and fit-for-purpose and guide other team members if they need direction.
- Compare various solutions and determine the one which best fits the need.
- Deliver container-based solutions utilizing in our container platform as part of our cloud migration, app modernization and cloud-native development services on AWS
Qualifications You’ll Need
- Bachelor’s degree in information technology and Statistics.
- 4+ years of hands-on programming experience, architecting and modernizing to next generation data applications
- In lieu of education, 6+ years hands-on programming experience, architecting next generation data applications
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- Experience with big data tools such as Spark, Python, MongoDB, NoSQL based decision systems.
- Hands-on experience in Hadoop Ecosystem including Spark, Stream sets, Map-Reduce, Kafka as well as experience working with NoSQL Platforms.
- 3+ years’ experience in building distributed solutions (Kafka)
- 2+ years’ experience working with a relational database
- 2+ years’ experience with Docker, deploying containers, automated build deployments using Jenkins or AWS Compute & Container Services
- In-depth knowledge on AWS Storage & Database Services and AWS Machine learning services.
- 2+ years’ experience with AWS services such as EC2, RDS, IAM, Lambda, SNS, SQS, and S3
- Hands on expertise using JS frameworks
- Experience with technical architecture including software and hardware sizing and capacity planning.
- Experience with Data Science toolsets and technology
- Must demonstrate advanced abilities to team and mentor and possess demonstrated excellence in written and verbal communication skills.
Proven skills in high availability and scalability design, as well as performance monitoring #LI-BG1
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.