Discover. A brighter future.
With Discover, you’ll have the chance to make a difference at one of the world’s leading digital banking and payments companies. From Day 1, you’ll do meaningful work you’re passionate about, with the support and resources you need for success. We value what makes each employee unique and provide a collaborative, team-based culture that gives everyone an opportunity to shine. Be the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future, while building the future you want, here at Discover.
At Discover Financial Services you can make an impact. Whether it’s developing corporate strategy, innovating new services or supporting IT needs, every employee has the opportunity to be a vital part of our business and make a real difference in people’s lives. It’s the heart of what we do. Discover is one of the most recognized brands in U.S. financial services.
We’re a direct banking and payment services company built on a legacy of innovation and customer service. Our employees have always played a big part in our success. We support, challenge and inspire employees to continually develop their skills, advance their career and help grow our business.
Discover Financial Services is seeking a Principal Data Engineer to join our Advanced Analytics Data team. Successful candidates will partner with our business partners to understand their data needs, and build data pipelines using cutting edge technologies like Kinesis/Kafka. Additionally you will explore the use of Python, Scala, Spark APIs to enrich data for our data scientists.
The ideal candidate will be passionate about Discover Financial Service’s data and its mission.
Develops and maintains full stack solutions to fit business needs. Full stack solutions require one or more of the following: front-end (user interfaces), back-end (APIs), database and DevOps development. Works directly with business partners to understand business requirements. Independently innovates on and advocates for best practices within the team, and collaborates on them across the enterprise. Carries a holistic view of all products and their interactions to design complex solutions and plan for how new projects will fit into the larger ecosystem. Solves complex technical problems. Guides team in implementation of solutions from inception to production.
What You’ll Do
- Develops and maintains complex front-ends with a focus on user experience
- Develops and maintains backend systems
- Uses holistic knowledge of all products in the team’s ecosystem to plan how new systems will be built and integrated
- Innovates on and advocates for best practices and improved processes within the team and with internal partners; stays up to date with technology trends and innovations; mentors team members
- Drive highly visible projects include translating business and technology requirements into our Cloud ETL/ELT architecture.
- Develop real-time data ingestion and stream-analytic solutions leveraging technologies such as Kafka, PySpark, Kinesis, Java, NoSQL DBs, AWS EMR.
- Collaborate with cross functional teams such as AWS cloud & platform engineering, DBAs and business teams.
- Provide our highest senior level technical capabilities to architect and implement our data on cloud roadmap.
- Creates and maintains DevOps processes, application infrastructure, and utilizes cloud services (including database systems and models)
- Supports live systems to ensure business continuity
Qualifications You’ll Need
- Bachelor’s degree in information technology
- 8+ years of experience in Computer Science, Information Technology or Equivalent Experience
- In lieu of degree, 10+ years of experience in Computer Science, Information Technology or related
- 10+ years of data engineering experience working with structured and un-structured data.
- Experience in Agile methodologies is must.
- Experience with SQL is a must and exposure to Snowflake is a big plus.
- Proficiency in scripting languages such as Shell/Python/Scala/Java is a must.
- Well versed with Linux/Unix operating system.
- AWS, Snowflake, Ab Initio, Teradata technologies, Big Data stacks/ecosystem including Kafka, Spark, NoSQL
- Ability to deliver with minimal oversight on a day-to-day basis.
- Passionate about data and developing solutions to generate data insights.
- Must be motivated to work hard in a fast-paced environment with other high caliber engineers
- Multi-tasking and prioritization expertise Enjoy balancing numerous different priorities and demands.
- Passionate learner who enjoys education through class room training and self-discovery on a variety of emerging technologies
- Decision making capabilities while gathering information and demonstrating leadership to management, and junior level staff. #LI-BG1
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.