Research Lead (Consulting)
We are dscout. At our core, we are People Nerds. We empower our customers to meet the people who matter to them in the moments that matter most. Customer-obsessed companies like Lyft, Nike, and Salesforce use dscout to build better products and services because of people like you. We are building a smart and driven team in our Chicago HQ, and we would love for you to join us.
We are looking for a Research Lead to join our Consulting Team. On our Consulting team, you take on the most challenging projects our clients have: investigating emerging trends, clarifying business opportunities, testing the boundaries of iconic brands, and vetting new-to-the-world products and services, all while pushing our own products to the limit.
Research Leads are every project’s center point; the driving force behind research design, analysis, synthesis and storytelling; and the main point of contact for clients and team members. You are a seasoned researcher, relying on both your experience and skills to ensure the richest insights. You are a poised professional, able to handle meetings and clients with ease. You are also a master at project management with a specific focus on ensuring the team remains focused and engaged no matter the situation. If this sounds like you and you are excited for the challenge, we would love for you to apply today!
What you will do (let’s call them Responsibilities):
- Lead the charge in developing research plans and identifying specific methodologies that respond to clients’ needs
- Communicate with the project’s client team to share any new developments, insights, or directions
- Facilitate a team data review (both qualitative and quantitative) in an effort to validate or challenge hypotheses made earlier in the research
- Present the state of the project, the direction the team is headed in, and why to Senior Leadership
- Collaborate with the project team to develop a cogent, creative, and compelling storyline for the project’s final deliverable
- Provide design direction on assets created for final deliverables
- Mentor Analysts on their professional development
- Address last minute needs that arises and taking the time to understand the issue in order to best direct the team on how to move past it
- Push the team’s expertise in research by experimenting with methodological and analytical techniques
What you need to have (we can call them Desired Skills and Background):
- A degree in anthropology, sociology, market research, design research or a related field (or equivalent work experience)
- 5+ years of experience in consumer research, design research, or a related field
- An appreciation for and understanding of digital research tools
- A passion for research, an innate curiosity about how and why people behave the way they do, and a desire to better understand complex behavioral problems and find solutions to those problems
- Expertise across all phases of research, including planning, recruiting, fielding, analysis, synthesis, designing deliverables, and presenting
- A proven background using both qualitative and quantitative research methods to inform a client’s product, brand, or strategy
- The ability to generate insights and translate them into a compelling, creative story
- Longstanding experience collaborating with, supporting, mentoring, and guiding team members
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, and the ability to present self and work in a poised, professional manner
- Highly flexible, adaptable to change and comfortable with ambiguity
- Experience using Microsoft Office Suite and Google Drive
- Bonus points if you have experience using Keynote, InDesign, or FinalCut Pro
What will you get?
Here at dscout, we are a team of passionate research, sales, technical, marketing, design, success, and operations professionals. We are driven by the power of research—how in-context insights from real people can build products and services that are more people-centric. We value learning, sharing, and building. We deeply value being a diverse and inclusive team and company, and we are looking for team members who align with that belief. We are proud of what dscout is today and we are excited to build our future with you.
In addition to joining a smart and passionate team, you will get:
- A strong compensation package with bonus structure. Your success is tied to company success. We are all in this together.
- An incredible set of core benefits as well as a 401k with match, solid PTO policy, and generous company holidays. We are committed to helping build your future.
- Exposure to the inner workings of a growing company. And open, transparent communication within our team. You will know what is happening and why it matters.
- An education stipend. Keep learning and sharpening your skills.
- A beautiful River North workspace, in the heart of lots of places to eat, drink, and play.
- Plenty of snacks, drinks, and caffeine to keep you powered throughout the day, and a weekly happy hour to relax with the team.