What we do
At Civis, we take a science-first approach to solving business problems using person-level data. With a blend of proprietary technology and statistical advisory services, we help public and private sector organizations find, understand and connect with the people they care about, so they can stop guessing and start using mathematical proof to guide decisions. We know others use “data science” and “analytics” as buzzwords, but at Civis we don’t stand for fluff, and we will always deliver scalable products and technologies — not PowerPoints — to drive your business forward. Learn more about Civis at www.civisanalytics.com.
To democratize data science so organizations can stop guessing and make decisions based on numbers and scientific fact.
What we are looking for
We are seeking a Senior Data Scientist to join our political client services team. This team will build out data and analytics solutions for Democratic and progressive advocacy organizations, and will be a key player in providing high-quality data science products to our clients.
We are a team of data scientists, survey scientists, and campaign veterans building new and innovative tools to help support progressive candidates. As a Senior Data Scientist on the team, your day-to-day work will involve building models using polling and electoral data, setting up production-level pipelines to automate workflows in Civis Platform, and helping communicate the results of analyses to our client-facing teams.
While this is a politically-focused role, individuals have succeeded in this role with a range of backgrounds outside of direct campaign experience, including consulting experience in a non-political role. Members of our team have educational backgrounds in physics, political science, philosophy, and more.
Due to the uncertainty of COVID-19, all Civis offices are closed and all employees are remote for the foreseeable future. This is being closely monitored as things change and it’s likely our offices will reopen. Because of this uncertainty, we want to ensure candidates for this role are open to potentially relocating to one of our offices (likely in Chicago or D.C.) in the future but a fully remote option is negotiable.
- Build machine learning models and innovate new data science solutions to make our products more accurate, robust, and efficient
- Build and maintain automated data pipelines
- Carry out ad-hoc analyses to answer data science questions
- Communicate modeling and development choices to the broader political team
- Demonstrated passion for progressive causes, political data, and/or campaigns
- Proficiency with computational statistics, machine learning and statistical modeling (e.g., scikit-learn, TensorFlow, STAN)
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work under time restrictions
- Calm demeanor and eagerness to work in a cross-functional environment where methodology and client needs shift over time
- Bachelor’s degree in an analytical subject or equivalent experience with data and analytics, which can include skills developed in a past job, on a political campaign, or through self-driven learning
- US work authorization required
- Expertise in Python
- Familiarity with SQL, including writing efficient queries and tables and data operations
- Past work experience with voterfile and/or survey data
- Experience working with production-level software pipelines and using tools like Python’s joblib module or other parallelization tools and workflow logic like YAML
- Familiarity with software development tools and practices (Git, code review, etc.)
- Interested in mentoring others on a growing team
Who we are
At Civis, we have opportunities for applicants who are newcomers, seasoned professionals, and anywhere in between. Our teams are energized by complex challenges and value diversity of thought. Opportunities to stand out and inspire happen daily and we trust and encourage you to act on your ideas – no matter how big they are. We offer you the tools and community you need to do your best work. Each of us is committed to holding ourselves accountable for results, challenging the status quo and finding new ways to grow our company and each other.
Why join our team?
- The opportunity to be part of a growing tech startup focused on solving interesting and meaningful problems, invested in internal promotion, and committed to fostering a diverse, equal and inclusive workplace.
- Competitive benefits, including unlimited PTO, 401K match with immediate vesting, health, dental, and vision benefits, paid parental leave, breastfeeding support including breastmilk shipping services for traveling moms, flexible work from home policy, commuter benefits, wellness initiatives including weekly group meditations, monthly on-site massage therapy, and pet insurance.
- Modern office, conveniently located in the Loop. Close to public transportation, great restaurants and beautiful city views.
Civis Analytics embraces the individuality of our employees and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact [email protected]
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.
EEO IS THE LAW