Arity - Design Researcher at Arity
Founded by The Allstate Corporation in 2016, Arity is a data and analytics company focused on improving transportation. We collect and analyze enormous amounts of data, using predictive analytics to build solutions with a single goal in mind: to make transportation smarter, safer and more useful for everyone.
At the heart of that mission are the people that work here—the dreamers, doers and difference-makers that call this place home. As part of that team, your work will showcase both your intelligence and your creativity as you tackle real problems and put your talents towards transforming transportation.
That’s because at Arity, we believe work and life shouldn’t be at odds with one another. After all, we know that your unique qualities give you a unique perspective. We don’t just want you to see yourself here. We want you to be yourself here.
The Design Researcher will execute a variety of design research programs, with methodologies ranging from contextual inquiry, to in-depth interviews, to interface evaluations and usability testing. This position will either work independently on medium-complexity products or work within a team on larger products or product areas by contributing to the planning, recruiting, execution, analysis, synthesis, and communication of research. This role with collaborate with Product Owners, Marketing, Data Science, Engineering, Designers, and Researchers. This role requires qualitative and mixed methods skills.
Design Research lives within the Arity Experience Design (AXD) team. The AXD team is a multi-disciplinary group who designs user interactions and experiences of systems and services that provide a positive, engaging, and productive experience. The team is made up of Design Leads, Experience Designers, Content Designers, Design Researchers, UI Engineers, and Visual Designers who work together to design delightful experiences.
The AXD team is responsible for applying knowledge of user-centered design methods, human-computer interaction and industry best practices to drive useful and usable interface design solutions.
The Experience Designer will focus on framing problems and providing innovative design solutions that meet user needs, while fulfilling key business objectives for a diverse range of products and experiences. They are comfortable working on concepts and early discovery work, as well as iterating on a mature product while embedded within a product team. On their product team, they are constantly communicating and collaborating with Product Managers, Engineers, Data Scientists, and Marketing, as well as members of the Arity Experience Design team.
- Uses human-centered design approaches to frame problems, uncover patterns, discover opportunities, and visualize possibilities
• Understands and interprets brand, user, and business needs to develop innovative, creative, and results-oriented solutions
• Creates rapid iterations of designs that can be tested and validated quickly
• Helps conduct quick feedback loops through frequent and appropriate user research, testing, and metrics analysis
• Helps product team assess and prioritize opportunities, constraints, and features
• Articulates ideas clearly and effectively
• Partners with XD team specialists when appropriate for the product
Education and Experience:
We think you will come to this role with:
- Demonstrated competence with usability testing, cognitive walkthroughs, heuristic reviews, and gathering qualitative and quantitative measures using design artifacts at any level of fidelity
- Facility with generating and applying frameworks to organize research findings and provide decision framing for different stakeholder audiences
- Reliable test-plan management, skillful session facilitation, and clarity in communicating research methods and outcomes
- Proclivity for balancing “lean” philosophy with the need for concise documentation of user insights and design recommendations for design backlog and team reference
- Excellent communication skills, including storytelling, writing, and presentation
- At least a year of relevant experience within a behavioral research function
- 4-year degree (Master’s preferred)–or equivalent years of work experience–in Human Factors/Human Computer Interaction, Cognitive or Experimental/Social Psychology, Cognitive Science, Sociology, or related field
- Ability to meet and serve design teams where they are, and set them up for success
- Experience/familiarity with Adobe analytics, Tableau, UserZoom, Validately, WebEx, InVision, Sketch, JIRA, Trello, Confluence, Slack, Smaply, Typeform, SurveyMonkey, and other usability and analytical software tools a plus
- Comfortable acting and moving activities forward despite uncertainty
• 4 year Bachelor’s Degree (Preferred)
• 3 or more years of experience (Preferred)
• In lieu of the above education requirements, an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
• Collaborates and thinks flexibly, partnering with product, engineering, data science, marketing, and each other
• Handles and enjoys projects from huge initiatives to simple requests, always giving the highest effort to our work
• Works within a variety of methodologies and processes, and helps to improve upon them
• Is organized and able to manage personal and project timetables
• Is engaging and effective communicators of ideas
• Keeps up-to-date in respective fields by monitoring trends, attending workshops and conferences, joining professional groups, and sharing craft and successes
• Has curiosity about each other s disciplines and has the opportunity to learn outside of our specialties
• Inspires others with our enthusiasm and work ethic
- 1+ years of qualitative or mixed methods research, or equivalent transferable skills
- Experience in product research, or equivalent transferable skills
Compensation offered for this role is $61,500.00-$105,750.00 per year and is based on experience and qualifications.
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
That’s the day-to-day, now let’s talk about the rest of it. As we mentioned, Arity was founded by The Allstate Corporation. But you’ll be working for—and at—Arity. It’s the best of both worlds. You’ll get access to the full suite of Allstate benefits and work in a fast-paced startup culture. It’s a culture that encourages you to be you.
Sound like a fit? Apply now! We can’t wait to meet you.
Arity.com Instagram Twitter LinkedIn
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click "here" for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click "here" for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
To view the “EEO is the Law” poster click “here”. This poster provides information concerning the laws and procedures for filing complaints of violations of the laws with the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs
To view the FMLA poster, click “here”. This poster summarizing the major provisions of the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and telling employees how to file a complaint.
It is the Company’s policy to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs. Therefore, any discriminatory action taken on account of an employee’s ancestry, age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual and reproductive health decision, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, race (include traits historically associated with race, including, but not limited to, hair texture and protective hairstyles), religion (including religious dress), sex, or sexual orientation that adversely affects an employee's terms or conditions of employment is prohibited. This policy applies to all aspects of the employment relationship, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, salary administration, promotion, job assignment, benefits, discipline, and separation of employment