Associate UX / Service Designer – Morningstar Managed Portfolios at Morningstar
About Morningstar Investment Management
The Investment Management group is a global team guided by Morningstar’s investment principles focused on delivering great long-term investment results to help end-investors reach their financial goals. Morningstar® Managed Portfolios, our complete wealth management platform serving financial advisors, offers a broad lineup of strategies built with stocks, mutual funds, and ETFs to help meet an investor’s needs at each stage of their lifetime.
About this Role
We are looking for an Associate UX / Service Designer for our Managed Portfolios group. This multi-talented individual will gain experience in all parts of the UX and Service Design process: user archetype and journey development, UX/UI design, UX writing, user research and testing, and prototyping. This person will work within a cross-functional, global team developing software and services for financial professionals. We seek a curious, entrepreneurial designer who loves elegantly simplifying complex data, translating user needs into intuitive, rewarding interactions, and smoothing the service frictions of a challenging industry.
This position is based in our Chicago office.
You’ll be great at:
• Providing inspired solutions for portions of our user and service workflows while learning how they impact the entire service experience.
• Applying creativity, logic, and critical thinking in new situations to find the best solution while continuously striving to find better ways of doing things.
• Helping test your designs and experiments with our users – financial advisors and investors – to continuously improve the usability and desirability of our products and services.
• Producing artifacts needed to visualize, communicate, and test product and service design—including task flows, sitemaps, wireframes, user journeys, and prototypes.
• Solving a variety of navigation and information organization challenges.
• Helping document product and service requirements and detailing your design work.
• Learning the intricacies of financial services, managed investing, financial advising, and the Morningstar and Managed Portfolios businesses.
• Understanding connections between digital products and offline service channels and helping build and plan for coordinated solutions.
• Helping implement best practices around creating a great user and service experience
• Collaborating with an international team on a global product for a global user base
• Actively seeking out new challenges and tasks and overcoming obstacles to achieve results.
You’ll also do things like:
• Collaborate with the product owner, visual designer, and engineers on your squad to make product decisions.
• Clearly articulate design decisions and share your process with stakeholders and other designers when appropriate.
• Collect, interpret, and prioritize the feedback you receive.
• Participate in critiques, workshops, design studios, and other design activities.
• Participate in user research and prototyping activities, such as helping with planning, taking notes during sessions, and helping analyze the data.
• Be curious, resourceful, and have a desire to solve challenging information, communication, and systems design problems.
• Prioritize your work and know when to ask for help or clarity.
• Bachelor’s degree
• 1-2 years relevant professional experience designing for software, web and/or digital products and services.
• Strong knowledge of Sketch, Invision, Microsoft Office Suite, and Mac OS X
• Knowledge of HTML and CSS
• Experience applying user and customer research methods
• Degree in a field related to human-computer interaction, design, library sciences, psychology, or communication
How to apply:
Please include a link to your online portfolio or attach pdf samples along with your resume.
Morningstar brings inspired problem solvers together with one goal in mind—to empower investor success. At our core, we’re one of the world’s top investment research and data companies. But what sets us apart is how we take that data and research, and pair it with the latest technology and thoughtful design, to deliver insights with a purely independent view that address a wide range of needs for our customers. This foundation of research, data, technology and design uniquely positions us to provide a more complete set of services to investors all around the world—ultimately helping people make better decisions about their money, or the money they manage for their clients.
Our Design Culture
The Morningstar design team is dedicated to creating thoughtful financial products and services so that people across the world can make the best investing decisions for themselves and their clients. We synthesize complex financial information into experiences that empower our users to deliver better outcomes. We do this by not only creating the look and feel of a product, but also driving product direction: prioritizing the biggest opportunities to support our users and the business, while maintaining a strong sense of product ownership and its resulting success. The design organization is made up of several disciplines—visual, UX, communications, content, and research—united to help each other, and the whole company, grow. We’re always seeking designers who are motivated, are driven to deliver user-centered outcomes, and are equally committed to craft and compassion.