Associate Visual Designer
The Group: Morningstar brings inspired problem-solvers together with one goal in mind—to empower investor success. At our core, we’re one of the world’s top investment research and data companies. But where we set ourselves apart is how we use that data and research to serve a diverse range of users. Our investment data and research enable us to deliver analytics and insights with a purely independent view, and then we leverage the latest in technology and design to deliver an array of solutions that best meet our users’ needs. This foundation of research, data, technology and design uniquely positions us to provide a more complete set of services to investors all around the world—ultimately helping people make better decisions about their money, or the money they manage for millions of people all over the world.
The Team: The Morningstar design team is dedicated to creating thoughtfully-designed financial products and services so that people across the world can make the best investing decisions for themselves and their clients. We synthesize complex financial information into experiences that help deliver better-investing outcomes. We do this by not only creating the look and feel of a product, but also driving product direction: prioritizing the biggest opportunities to support our users and the business, while maintaining a strong sense of product ownership and its resulting success. The design organization is made up of several disciplines—visual, UX, communications, content, and research—united to help each other, and the whole company, grow. We’re always seeking designers who are motivated, driven to deliver user-centered outcomes, with an equal commitment to craft and compassion.
The Role: We’re looking for an Associate Visual Designer to join our Workplace team—an energetic group building software that helps employees retire better. In this role, you’ll work with content makers, UX designers, strategists, and business partners to craft immersive digital experiences that are elegant, clear and meaningful. We need someone who loves the challenge of turning complex concepts into engaging visual stories and can blend visual strategy and design to uncover business and user opportunities. You will collaborate daily with business, product, and technology partners to solve problems through curiosity, empathy, and optimism.
As an Associate Visual Designer you will:
- Design compelling experiences that delight users and inspire them to engage with our products
- Expertly use typography, color, iconography, space, and texture to help our users understand and navigate our products
- Rely on user-centered design principles to produce high-quality visuals–from concept to execution
- Collaborate with other designs, content strategists, technologists, and product managers to create innovative, great-looking products that people love to use.
- Create visuals that are consistent with the Morningstar brand while also pleasing our users
- Present a user interface that is easy to understand, easy to read, and easy to find
- Advocate for the user in all product decisions
- Ideate, craft, prototype, test, refine, and execute on the conceptualization of the work but also the final deliverable
- Create specifications and documentation that details to your technology partners how to build the intended, final deliverable
We’re looking for someone who’s:
- Passionate about crafting solutions that solve real people problems
- Detail orientated and loves to create digital solutions that maintain a high level of quality and craft
- Digging into user feedback, data, and other qualitative and quantitative metrics that help us uncover opportunity and turn that opportunity into innovation
- Committed to customer outcomes, business impact, and measuring both
- Eager to master complex information, and able to simplify it so that everyone can understand it
- Able to build meaningful relationships across multidisciplinary teams to cultivate empathy, while also moving a team forward
- Deeply collaborative and enjoys working as a team to solve problems
- A curious self-starter who isn't afraid of ambiguity and is eager to find problems and solve them
- Comfortable with a fast-paced work environment
- Willing to regularly reflect on their work, and continuously strive for better ways of communicating, coaching, and learning
- Able to bring energy to a team and keep things positive
Experience we’d like to see:
- 1-3 years of digital design experience
- Expertise in digital design tools (Adobe Creative Suite, Sketch, InVision, Figma, Zeplin, Principle, etc.).
- Have a keen understanding of typography, color, composition, and design systems
- Experience articulating a clear “point-of-view" relating to your designs, the problem you are trying to solve, and the opportunity it presents to the user and the business
- Excellent organization and attention to detail
- Proactive, hands-on person who loves a challenge
Please include a portfolio of work that you’re most proud of, so you can tell stories about your experience and the impact you've had. We're interested in the designs you’ve created and want to understand how you work with a team to solve problems.
This position is based in our Chicago office. Morningstar is an equal opportunity employer.
002_MIMLLC Morningstar Investment Management LLC Legal Entity