Who We Are
At 8th Light, we take a human-centered design (HCD) approach to software development, collaborating with the people writing the code as well as those using it. We embrace the need for adaptability in a constantly changing world. Our design team is composed of thinkers and doers, with a breadth and depth of experience across UX design, UI design, and implementation, ready to take on most any challenge that we encounter.
As an employee-owned software consultancy, we consider software design and development a craft. Our team of expert designers and developers hold the title of "Crafter" to reflect our dedication to quality, our emphasis on continual learning, and our belief that software is truly a craft — something that we take great pride in. We value colleagues who enjoy learning and teaching, which creates our collaborative organization. You’ll also have opportunities to further your expertise as a design leader, through project contributions, and working directly with senior leadership and the Head of Design.
We enjoy working with empathetic, passionate collaborators who value the work they do. At this time, we are seeking a Design Director to join our human-centered software design team.
Who You Are
You’ve led teams in the past and would describe yourself as being most inspired when you can bring others on a journey conceptually and aesthetically. You are prepared to deepen your organization influence and leadership skills while keeping your heart and hands firmly planted in the low level activities of any design project and engagement. You’ve successfully:
- Ideally gained design experience over at least 10 years with over 3 years of experience effectively leading design teams
- Contributed to consulting engagements in both small and large B2C + B2B organizations
- Led solutions resulting in measurable financial and organizational growth
- Amassed a proven track record of guiding clients and project teams through the human-centered design process and integrating Agile engineering practices
- Motivated teams by modeling and applying quality design practices through leadership and collaboration with both internal and client teams in software product design and development processes
- Demonstrated exceptional communication skills (oral and written) and an ability to inspire through teaching and hands-on collaboration with numerous stakeholders
What You’ll Do At 8th Light
You’ll establish and maintain our design activities and the quality of our project outcomes from design through delivery. You will also support the overall growth and development of design team members through project collaboration and mentorship. The Design Director will contribute to the development and growth of client relationships through business development and project advisory services. In unison with the engagement team, you will be responsible for:
- Advising and guiding client stakeholders across our software design and delivery engagements
- Championing our multidisciplinary, integrated approach to software product design and development
- Contributing to all aspects of design through hands-on collaboration with our integrated core and extended teams
- Ensuring the desirability, feasibility, and viability of our design directions throughout the entire design and delivery process
- Participating in business development activities by offering design perspective in connection to new opportunities and creating positive relationships with clients by setting them up for success
- Contributing to the growth and development of our designers and the Design Discipline as a whole in collaboration with our Head of Design
- Creating opportunities for our design colleagues to be exposed and immersed in new practices and tools that evolve and expand their expertise
Nice to Have
We work across many areas, and encourage anyone with the experience mentioned above to apply. Given recent client requests, we would particularly like to encourage applicants with experience in the following areas:
- Design consulting across a range of industries and client organizations
- Depth in UX and visual design
- Integrated human-centered design and Agile delivery practices
We truly hope to hear from you.Join Us
We recognize that creating a truly diverse, equitable, and inclusive organization is an ongoing journey, and we’re excited to share our journey with you. We have a proud tradition of hiring talented colleagues with unusual career experiences. We're more interested in your experiences, results, and impact than brand names, degrees, or keywords that may appear on your resume. We appreciate your time in completing a few application questions to help us get to know you better.
8th Light is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.