Instructional Designer at Paylocity
The Instructional Designer will apply adult learning principles to analyze, design, develop, implement, evaluate, and maintain high quality training content for eLearning programs, instructor led content, virtual classroom design, tool kits, study guides, and performance support aids using standardized instructional design methodology. The Instructional Designer collaborates with business partners and key stakeholders to conduct a learning needs assessment to identify learning gaps and opportunities. The Instructional Designer recommends and creates highly-engaging learning experiences for both internal and external clients and works with subject matter experts to develop learning content. The Instructional Designer is also responsible for developing learning assessments and training evaluations and is able to analyze results. The Instructional Designer will participate in professional development activities and will also play an active role in coaching and mentoring fellow designers and team members.
- Consult with business partners, and stakeholders to perform training needs analysis.
- Collaborate with SMEs to gather and analyze relevant content and to clarify learning objectives.
- Partner with Learning Design Manager to determine and recommend the proper approach to design, develop, and implement learning deliverables.
- Plan, organize and create training materials, programs and/or curricula to meet specific business objectives.
- Recommend and create learning activities that are congruent with learning objectives.
- Determine project goals/milestones based on identified business needs/timelines, and obtain appropriate approvals.
- Execute the development and implementation of learning programs and deliverables such as instructor led, eLearning, blended, or other media by using various software applications taking into account audience, business needs, and requirements.
- Develop innovative approaches that incorporate industry trends and best practices.
- Demonstrate and apply knowledge of appropriate tools and resources used to develop training content including MS Word, Captivate, Articulate Storyline, Camtasia, SnagIt, etc.
- Administer learning assessments and training evaluations and gather results.
- Develop tools/resources for evaluating/measuring post-training learning effectiveness (e.g., surveys, interviews, focus groups, observations checklists).
- Gather, review, and create summaries of the training evaluations.
- Make recommendations on enhancements to learning programs and training deliverables based on results of the evaluation.
- Ensure all materials are consistent and aligned with learning and development guidelines and established standards.
- Write scripts and talking points for eLearning modules and videos.
- Write supporting materials for learning activities such as agendas, schedules, quick reference guides, FAQs, handouts, job aids, trainer and participant guides.
- Incorporate graphics, video, or photography to support course development.
- Responsible for technical quality and function of all courses.
- Can manage complex training projects and can coach and mentor others on effective project management skills.
- Participates in cross-training/skill building activities on team and within the department.
- Actively coaches and develops members of the team and department. Facilitates cross-training and skill building sessions.
- Additional duties as assigned
Education and Experience
- This position requires a Bachelor’s degree in Instructional Design, Communications, or related field or equivalent work experience
- Master’s Degree in Instructional Design, Communications, or related field preferred
- 3+ years experience developing eLearning projects
- Computer skills required including strong aptitude with web-based applications and expertise in MS Office programs required
- Expertise Proficiency in utilizing eLearning authoring tools
- Knowledge of latest technology in eLearning, Webinars, social media, etc.
- Knowledge of training and development practices and methods including needs assessment and instruction design for instructor led, virtual, online, and blended training
- Knowledge of learning theories and principles including adult learning theory
- Ability to organize and manage multiple projects
- Ability to work independently and/or as part of a creative team
- Professional written and verbal communication skills
- Attention to detail and analytical skills
- Expertise with Adobe Captivate or Articulate Storyline preferred
- Proficiency with Adobe Create Cloud preferred