Jr Visual Product Designer
Founded in 2012 and recently named one of the nation’s fastest-growing private businesses by Inc. Magazine, RedShelf is a Chicago-based EdTech company helping to make education both more affordable and more effective by replacing yesterday’s pricey print publications with today’s more dynamic yet far less expensive digital content. Partnering with more than 400+ publishers and 640+ campuses nationwide, we offer leading-edge digital course materials and a seamless, end-to-end Content Delivery System for effectively distributing those materials.
The Jr Visual Product Designer on our User Experience Team is responsible for crafting high-quality digital product experiences. You have demonstrated the ability to effectively partner with senior designers to shepherd end to end experiences from concept to ship. You are a great creator, collaborator, communicator with a clear understanding of each facet of the design process.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Create and translate low fidelity wireframes/UX prototypes into effective and appealing interfaces.
- Ensure existing UI guidelines and standards are followed during the development and maintenance of the product.
- Proactively recognize UX/UI gaps in design and propose solutions.
- Conduct and/or participate in product usability tests with users.
- Participate in research and user strategy for a growing education platform.
- 2+ years industry experience as a visual product designer or related discipline.
- BA+ degree in Design (e.g. graphic design, visual communications, product) or equivalent practical experience.
- Demonstrate extremely strong visual sensibilities, ability to use visual thinking, storyboards, sketching, and communication design to create breakthrough product experiences.
- Have a deep understanding of fundamental visual design disciplines (typography, iconography, composition, color, composition, layout, etc.) and a strong command of industry best practices in interaction design, usability and accessibility.
- Comfortable giving and receiving critical design feedback.
- Proficient with industry standard design & prototyping tools (Sketch, Illustrator, Photoshop, Invision, Zeplin, or some other wireframing/prototyping tool that communicates your ideas well and provides the required assets to your partners.)
- MUST have a portfolio of work that demonstrates breadth, creativity and innovation.
- Self-motivated, can work independently.
Other Desirable Skills/Experience:
- Experience working in an Agile/Scrum development process a plus.
- Knowledge and appreciation of the advances in higher educational software, course materials, and digital publishing is a plus.
- Background and/or experience in educational technology and/or publishing.
- Ideal candidate is self-sufficient and highly motivated, self-directed and possess high energy and a passion for RedShelf.
RedShelf prides itself on maintaining an informal but fast-moving, hard-working, entrepreneurial culture. Our team members are smart, innovative, and passionate about improving education through digital technology.
We offer the best of both worlds: the energy and opportunity of a rapidly-growing organization, coupled with the stability of an extensive client base, strong financial backing, and proven track record of success. In addition to a forward-thinking environment with ample opportunity for professional and personal growth, our team members enjoy competitive compensation and benefits packages, including company stock options.
RedShelf is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, people of color, individuals with a disability, veterans, and others who would enrich the diversity of RedShelf are encouraged to apply.