Manager, UX Strategy
The Manager, UX Strategy will work closely with the Managing Director, Experience Design to build our UX and UI design capabilities through leadership and expertise that will drive the team and our work product. This individual will be responsible for contributing to client projects and, at times, will be required to define and optimize our approach to current and future engagements.
The Manager, UX Strategy will also be asked to challenge our team to push their design output (wireframes, UI interfaces, conceptual implications, research design, etc.) while paying close attention to the operational effectiveness of the team (utilization, project load, resourcing, etc.). We are interested in someone who thrives off of a balance of contributing to the work as well as management and mentorship. Strong design skills and innovative thinking are a must.
BONUS: Fancy yourself a brand wonk? Do messaging and creative concepts come naturally? Do you see the brand and design implications in everything you do? In short, are you a bit of a unicorn? If so, let’s talk. There is potential to make this role bigger than it is today.
On a team of thinkers, problem solvers and over-achievers, expect that…
- You will have a leadership presence in client relationships and within the One North business.
- You will direct complex engagements and play a leading role in defining how we approach getting to the solution.
- You will guide and challenge the design process by guiding other Strategists through projects, while at times leading the efforts yourself.
- You will be involved in deep discovery, research-driven user journeys and a thoughtful information architecture and functional design process.
- You will play an important role in ensuring that each One North solution is unique, differentiating, engaging, usable and, most importantly, aligned with the client’s business goals.
- You will help integrate Brand Strategists, Visual Designers and Front-End Developers into your process in order to bring the solution to fruition.
- You will have at least one direct report and will be involved in identifying and hiring additional team members as we grow.
- You will have the opportunity to talk about and pursue what you care about. UX Strategists contribute to thought leadership and collaborate with fellow UX and other strategists in order to keep up with their passions, trends and developments in digital marketing.
- You will play a role in shaping the growth of a continually evolving digital agency that is anchored by a resonant philosophy on digital’s role in professional services and B2B.
You are the type of person who will find this role fulfilling if:
- You enjoy being on stage and aren’t afraid to share new and disruptive ideas. UX Strategists are at the forefront of the client experience challenging and guiding them through a series of complex decisions that must be made.
- People tell you that you make the complex seem simple. UX Strategists are comfortable with translating the biggest and most general truths about an organization and reflecting that in the information architecture, functional details and content scheme of a solution.
- You value the art of the written word. Everything UX Strategists do is ultimately communicated in writing, whether it is wireframes, personas, interview guides, presentations, emails or formal deliverable documents.
- You could describe yourself as a tech-driven web head. UX Strategists are constantly looking at how things are done on the internet today and thinking about how things could be done tomorrow.
- You think about the experience created by business decisions, and you find the way things are marketed intriguing. You often find yourself crafting an alternative approach that would improve the experience in some way.
- You hold yourself to a higher standard than others hold you to. UX Strategists continuously improve upon their day-to-day work, while also contributing groundbreaking ideas and constantly raising the bar for themselves.
- You are comfortable navigating uncharted territory. As the needs of our clients evolve, the manners in which we help them develop and the types of clients we serve widens, UX Strategists are often at the forefront of figuring out what that new space/offering looks like.
- You have a commanding presence and can not only lead a room, but you can read a room. You can sense when to adjust your approach, tone and sometimes, even your plan.
Foundation and background ideal for Manager, UX Strategy:
- Demonstrated interest and experience in areas of interactive design, user experience design, consulting and information architecture.
- A minimum of 10 years of experience working in a professional, collaborative environment.
- Experience delivering presentations and guiding meetings with executive-level participants.
- A demonstrated passion for solving problems.
- Experience as a manager and mentor of others.
- Ability to thrive in an environment that values an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Proficiency in visual productivity software such as Axure, Adobe CS (InDesign) and/or Omnigraffle is a big plus.
- Experience working in an agency (or agency-like) environment is a plus.
- Ability to travel to client sites as projects require, up to 15% of the time.