Morningstar brings inspired problem-solvers together with one goal in mind—to help investors reach their financial goals. At our core, we’re one of the world’s top investment research and data companies. But where we set ourselves apart is how we use that data and research to serve a diverse range of users. Our investment data and research enable us to deliver analytics and insights with a purely independent view, and then we leverage the latest in technology and design to deliver an array of solutions that best meet our users’ needs. This foundation of research, data, technology, and design uniquely positions us to provide a complete set of services to investors all around the world—ultimately helping people make better decisions about their money or money they manage for millions of people all over the world.
Our Design Culture
The Morningstar design team is dedicated to creating thoughtfully designed financial products and services so that people across the world can make the best investing decisions for themselves and their clients. We synthesize complex financial information into experiences that help us deliver better investing outcomes. We do this by not only creating the look and feel of a product, but also driving product direction: prioritizing the biggest opportunities to support our users and the business, while maintaining a strong sense of product ownership and its resulting success. The design organization is made up of several disciplines—visual, UX, communications, content, and research—united to help each other, and the whole company, grow. We’re always seeking designers who are motivated, driven to deliver user-centered outcomes, and equally committed to craft and compassion.
We are looking for a Product Designer in our Independent Advisor Software group. Backed by Morningstar's independent research, methodologies, high-quality data, behavioral science and innovative product design, our team builds a modern suite of software that helps independent financial advisors manage client assets, hone their investment strategies, build competitive portfolios, and research industry trends. This multi-talented individual will be involved in all parts of the design process: concept development, creative visualization, user research and testing, UX writing, system design, and prototyping. This person will work within a cross-functional, global team developing software for financial professionals. We seek a curious, entrepreneurial designer who loves the challenges of elegantly simplifying complex data, translating user needs into intuitive, rewarding interactions, and beautifully expressing our brand.
This position is based in our Chicago office.
You’ll be great at:
• Owning all parts of the design process from discovery, definition, development, and delivery
• Identifying connections between products, services, and touchpoints to account for a great user experience
• Utilizing user-centered design methods in day-to-day work to inform design decisions (such as user research, prototyping, and other design thinking methods)
• Creating high-fidelity prototypes and other artifacts that communicate design direction and execution considerations
• Guiding teams to build coordinated solutions that will support the end-to-end vision of the product experience
• Solving navigation and information organization challenges
• Making and articulating decisions around information structure, relationships, and content strategy
• Visualizing and communicating a user’s task flow through various parts of a product and system
• Applying creativity, logic, and critical thinking in new situations to find the best solution, while continuously striving to find better ways of doing things
• Actively seeking out new challenges and be tenacious in overcoming obstacles to achieve results
• Demonstrating core design skills—especially concerning typography, composition, information hierarchy, and data visualization—to create delightful, engaging experiences that reinforce the Morningstar brand
• Solving challenging information and communication design problems and being able to present multiple concepts for consideration, with sound rationale
You’ll also do things like:
• Collaborate with the product owners, designers, and engineers on your squad to make product decisions
• Clearly articulate design decisions and share your process with stakeholders and other designers
• Participate in critiques, workshops, design studios, and other design activities
• Participate in user research and prototyping activities, such as helping with planning, taking notes during sessions, and helping analyze the data
• Adapt your work and approach to meet changing priorities as they occur
• Be curious, resourceful, flexible and adaptive
• Have a desire to solve challenging information, communication, and systems design problems
• Bachelor’s degree
• At least 3 years of relevant professional experience designing for software, web and/or digital products
Nice to have
• Strong knowledge of Sketch, InVision, Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office Suite, and Mac OS X
• Knowledge of HTML and CSS
• Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
• Experience working with Design Systems