Product Designer at Morningstar
Morningstar brings inspired problem-solvers together with one goal in mind—to empower investor success. At our core, we’re one of the world’s top investment research and data companies. But what sets us apart is how we take that data and research, and pair it with the latest technology and thoughtful design, to deliver insights with a purely independent view that address a wide range of needs for our customers. This foundation of research, data, technology, and design uniquely positions us to provide a more complete set of services to investors all around the world—ultimately helping people make better decisions about their money or the money they manage for their clients.
Our Design Culture
The Morningstar design team is dedicated to creating thoughtfully-designed financial products and services so that people across the world can make the best investing decisions for themselves and their clients. We synthesize complex financial information into experiences that empower our users to deliver better outcomes. We do this by not only creating the look and feel of a product but also driving product direction: prioritizing the biggest opportunities to support our users and the business while maintaining a strong sense of product ownership and its resulting success. The design organization is made up of several disciplines—visual, UX, communications, content, and research—united to help each other, and the whole company, grow. We’re always seeking designers who are motivated, are driven to deliver user-centered outcomes, and are equally committed to craft and compassion.
Morningstar is looking for a user experience designer for our Products group to help lead user experience design within a cross-functional team developing software for financial advisors and financial professionals. We’re looking for a designer who loves the challenge of turning complex data into great communication design, translating usage patterns into intuitive interactions and workflows, and working in an incredibly collaborative environment.
This position is based in our Chicago office.
You’ll be great at:
• Identifying connections between products, services, and touchpoints to account for a great user experience.
• Guiding teams to build coordinated solutions that will support the end-to-end vision of the product experience.
• Solving navigation and information organization challenges.
• Articulating decisions around information structure, relationships, and strategy.
• Visualizing and communicating a user’s task flow through various parts of a product and system.
• Utilizing user-centered design methods (such as user research, prototyping, and other design thinking) in day-to-day work to inform design decisions.
• Creating wireframes, prototypes, task flows, and other artifacts to visualize and communicate design direction.
• Supporting the Morningstar Design System by defining and specifying consistent interactions, patterns, and conventions.
• Making informed design decisions around typography, space, color, and iconography while using the Morningstar Design System and expressing the Morningstar brand.
• Applying creativity, logic, and critical thinking in new situations to find the best solution while continuously striving to find better ways of doing things.
• Actively seeking out new challenges and tasks and be tenacious in overcoming obstacles to achieve results.
You’ll also do things like:
• Collaborate with the product owners, designers, and engineers on your squad to make product decisions.
• Clearly articulate design decisions and share your process with stakeholders and other designers.
• Participate in critiques, workshops, design studios, and other design activities.
• Participate in user research and prototyping activities, such as helping with planning, taking notes during sessions, and helping analyze the data.
• Adapt your work and approach to meet changing priorities as they occur.
• Be curious, resourceful, and have a desire to solve challenging information, communication, and systems design problems.
• Bachelor’s degree
• At least 3 years of relevant professional experience designing for software, web and/or digital products.
• Strong knowledge of Sketch, Invision, Microsoft Office Suite, and Mac OS X
• Knowledge of HTML and CSS
• Degree in a field related to human-computer interaction, design, library sciences, psychology, or communication
How to apply:
Include a link to your online portfolio or attach pdf samples along with your resume.