Remote Senior Product Designer - Contractor at Kin Insurance
Kin Insurance is on a mission to change home insurance from what it could be to what it should be. We’re proud to offer affordable insurance coverage in areas most impacted by climate change, like Florida, California and Louisiana, that pay more for insurance than anywhere else in America.
We are also proud to be recognized as Built In’s 2021 Best Midsize Companies to Work For in Chicago and Forbes 2021 Best Startup Employers in America. We are growing super fast, and we need forward-thinking, inspired game-changers like you to help lead the way.So, what’s the role?
Kin is looking for a creative, hands-on and versatile product designer to be a part of our growing design team. You'll be involved in a wide range of activities, from conducting customer research and prototyping design concepts to shipping new product features in collaboration with other designers, product managers, and engineers. You will also contribute by assisting on various customer facing marketing initiatives as needed and help maintain our design system to ensure design quality and consistency across our product development effortA day in the life could include:
- Think holistically about product design from a bird’s eye view and dive in to solve problems at the interaction/pixel level
- Work cross-functionally with colleagues in product management, marketing and technology to understand business and customer needs
- Use data and product analytics to inform design decisions
- Design product solutions with a focus on human centered design techniques
- Create specifications, wireframes, prototypes to communicate design vision
- Use brand guidelines and visual direction to inform and create high-fidelity mockups
- Define UI motion and micro animation guidelines
- Contribute and define the Kin UI design system for mobile and responsive web
- Work with marketing and content partner to ensure tone and voice in the experience is consistent
- Conduct research and usability testing to validate product designs and inform design decisions
- Work with marketing on customer facing advertising on occasion
I’ve got the skills… but do I have the necessary ones?
- Bachelor's degree in HCI, graphic design, cognitive science or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of experience designing products for mobile and responsive web
- Experience working in a test and learn hypothesis driven product environment preferred
- Experience creating and contributing to design systems and working with other designers
- Passion for making complex business tasks easy through user-centered design
- Empathy for customers and passion for helping them solve difficult problems
- Solid communication skills, both written and verbal
- Learning mindset and willingness to absorb lots of new information and context
- Self-starter personality who’s lean and eager to take action
- Extremely collaborative work style thriving in a dynamic team environment
- Facilitation and collaboration skills aimed at aligning cross functional peers
- Experience designing and prototyping with Figma is required
- Portfolio of your work highlighting your design process and examples of product design
In an industry that hasn't budged in more than 100 years, our technology transforms the user experience, cuts inefficiencies that waste billions of consumer dollars, and customizes coverage homeowners want. We believe insurance was always meant to be a digital product – we’re making that a reality.
Our approach to the industry makes us unique, and the people at Kin help us excel. We’re a team of problem solvers, collaborators, builders, and dreamers who are passionate about creating positive change in the lives of our customers and in our industry. Kin is more than just our name – it’s how we treat each other. That’s one of the many reasons we’ve been recognized as a great place to work by Built In, Forbes, and Fast Company.EEOC Statement
Kin is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We don't just accept difference – we honor it, nurture it, and celebrate it. We don’t discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.