Senior Designer, UX
Morningstar brings inspired problem solvers together with one goal in mind—to help investors reach their financial goals. At our core, we’re one of the world’s top investment research and data companies. But where we set ourselves apart is how we use that data and research to serve a diverse range of users. Our investment data and research enable us to deliver analytics and insights with a purely independent view, and then we leverage the latest in technology and design to deliver an array of solutions that best meet our users’ needs. This foundation of research, data, technology and design uniquely positions us to provide a more complete set of services to investors all around the world—ultimately helping people make better decisions about their money, or the money they manage for millions of people all over the world.
Our Design Culture
The Morningstar design team is dedicated to creating thoughtfully-designed financial products and services so that people across the world can make the best investing decisions for themselves and their clients. We synthesize complex financial information into experiences that empower our users to deliver better outcomes. We do this by not only creating the look and feel of a product, but also driving product direction: prioritizing the biggest opportunities to support our users and the business, while maintaining a strong sense of product ownership and its resulting success. The design organization is made up of several disciplines—visual, UX, communications, content, and research—united to help each other, and the whole company, grow. We’re always seeking designers who are motivated, are driven to deliver user-centered outcomes, and are equally committed to craft and compassion.
We are looking for a senior user experience designer for our Professional Software team. This individual will own the UX design discipline within a newly-formed cross-functional team charged with developing software for financial professionals. We need a designer who loves the challenges of turning complex data into meaningful design, translating usage patterns into intuitive, rewarding interactions and workflows, and working in an incredibly collaborative environment.
This position is based in our Chicago office.
You’ll be great at:
• Understanding at an expert level how to provide solutions for complex navigation and information hierarchy challenges at a system level while also supporting a strong user-facing experience.
• Coaching your teammates on how to make decisions around information structure, relationships, and strategy.
• Expertly utilizing design thinking methods in day-to-day work, including collaborating with the team to successfully incorporate these methods into an Agile process.
• Coaching other designers, business leads, and stakeholders in the values and methods of design thinking to solve user needs and realize business goals while also supporting our design culture.
• Identifying connections between products and communication channels and guiding teams to build and plan for coordinated solutions.
• Partnering with the product owners and engineering leads to support the end-to-end vision of the product.
• Supporting a collaborative, transparent, and high-performing team environment by leading a positive, results-oriented attitude and culture that’s built on resilience, great communication, and mutual respect.
• Promoting open discussion of new ideas, tough issues, and contrasting points of view.
You’ll also do things like:
• Demonstrate exceptional stakeholder management skills, including effectively managing expectations and obtaining agreement on key objectives.
• Continuously strive to find better ways of doing things.
• Edit and generate clear and concise labels, prompts, and other messaging copy that guides the user and meets business needs.
• Persuade and lead others to invest in quality design and demonstrate the value of doing it right.
• Collaborate with the product owner, visual designer, and engineers on your squad to make sound product decisions.
• Be proficient in core research skills, such as interviewing, analysis, and reporting techniques, and execute common types of user research with minimal guidance and supervision.
• Provide guidance and mentorship to junior team members.
• Bachelor’s degree
• At least 5 years of relevant professional experience designing for software, web and/or digital products.
• Strong knowledge of Sketch, Invision, Microsoft Office Suite, and Mac OS X
• Knowledge of HTML and CSS
• Degree in a field related to human-computer interaction, design, library sciences, psychology, or communication