We are looking for an experienced, detail oriented designer to help take our design system to the next level. As the lead designer on the design system team, You will empower designers across the organization to build more cohesive, accessible, and high quality experiences for our customers through leading and evolving our multi-platform design system. You will be responsible for creating a robust system of documentation as well as iterating on and creating new components that evolve Root’s visual and interaction patterns across user touch points. Finally, you will support other designers on the team in effectively using and contributing back to the system as our product evolves.
Our company and Product Design team has a flexible approach to work. Candidates within the US can choose to work on-site in Columbus or Chicago, or majority remote with in-person visits as needed.
As a Senior Product Designer on Root's design system team you will:
- Take the lead on defining how Root’s design system should grow and evolve to fit the needs of the team.
- Collaborate with the product design team to document our system today and establish new patterns and components as our customer experience evolves
- Consult with other product designers to ensure proper and effective use of the design system
- Collaborate with teams in brand and marketing to assure brand alignment across customer touch points
- Identify opportunities to improve and expand the system by understanding the ongoing needs of product and engineering teams
- Advocate for high quality UI, branding, and accessibility best practices
- Identify ways to improve the design system to help the entire design team work more efficiently and effectively
Qualifications that might make you a great fit for the role
- You have 5+ years of experience in interaction design, product design or related field
- You have experience working on or leading a design system team
- You’re a customer champion and practitioner of human-centered and service design methodologies with a deep understanding of digital product development
- You’re a self-starter who thrives in ambiguity, and can balance switching between strategy-level and pixel-level work
- You’re a systems thinker who loves establishing structure within complex information
- Passionate about accessibility and consistency in our visual language
- Strong communication and negotiation skills
- You’re comfortable learning about complex workflows across multiple industries (telematics-based insurance, fleet management, retail, etc)
Who we are.
Root Insurance is the nation’s first licensed insurance carrier powered entirely by mobile. We were founded on the belief that the services you need for everyday life should serve you better. That’s why we base insurance coverages on you, not your demographic. It’s the way insurance should be. And it’s all conveniently in an app.
What draws people to Root.
We’re a venture-backed technology company. Our early success is in large part due to our unwavering standards in hiring. We recognize that our product is only as good as the people building and promoting it. We look for individuals who find solutions by going through the cycle of ideation to implementation with curiosity, rigor, and a highly analytical lens. Ask anyone who works here and you’ll hear similar reasons for why they joined:
Autonomy. For assertive self-starters, the opportunities to contribute are limitless.
Impact. By challenging the way it’s always been done, we solve problems that have a big impact on our business.
Collaboration. We encourage rich discussion and civil debate at every turn.
People. We are inspired by the collection of crazy-smart people around us