Senior Product Designer at Morningstar
Senior Designer, User Experience
Morningstar brings inspired problem solvers together with one goal in mind—to help investors reach their financial goals. At our core, we’re one of the world’s top investment research and data companies. But where we set ourselves apart is how we use that data and research to serve a diverse range of users. Our investment data and research enable us to deliver analytics and insights with a purely independent view, and then we leverage the latest in technology and design to deliver an array of solutions that best meet our users’ needs. This foundation of research, data, technology and design uniquely positions us to provide a more complete set of services to investors all around the world—ultimately helping people make better decisions about their money, or the money they manage for millions of people all over the world.
Our Design Culture
The Morningstar design team is dedicated to creating thoughtfully-designed financial products and services so that people across the world can make the best investing decisions for themselves and their clients. We synthesize complex financial information into experiences that empower our users to deliver better outcomes. We do this by not only creating the look and feel of a product, but also driving product direction: prioritizing the biggest opportunities to support our users and the business, while maintaining a strong sense of product ownership and its resulting success. The design organization is made up of several disciplines—visual, UX, communications, content, and research—united to help each other, and the whole company, grow. We’re always seeking designers who are motivated, are driven to deliver user-centered outcomes, and are equally committed to craft and compassion.
Morningstar is looking for a senior-level user experience designer to join our Products group. This role will support the UX design discipline within a cross-functional team charged with developing solutions for individual investors. We’re looking for a designer who loves the challenges of turning complex data into meaningful design, translating usage patterns and customer insights into intuitive, rewarding interactions and workflows, and working in an incredibly collaborative environment.
This position is based in our Chicago office.
You’ll be great at:
- Building an in-depth understanding of investing and the types of investors we serve, and translating into personas, experience maps, and user journeys that identify pain points and opportunities within an experience.
- Utilizing design thinking methods in day-to-day work, including collaborating with the team to successfully incorporate these methods into an Agile process.
- Understanding at an expert level how to provide solutions for complex navigation and information hierarchy challenges at a system level while also supporting a strong user-facing experience.
- Defining the ecosystem of a product and its interactions with other services, entry points, and marketing needs
- Making expert-level decisions around typography, composition, color, information hierarchies, and data visualization
- Visualizing and communicating a user’s task flow through various parts of a product and system.
- Creating prototypes with interactive transitions, visual specs, and other artifacts to communicate design direction
- Solving challenging information and communication design problems and presenting multiple concepts for consideration
You’ll also do things like
- Demonstrate exceptional stakeholder management skills, including effectively managing expectations and obtaining agreement on key objectives.
- Continuously strive to find better ways of doing things.
- Persuade and lead others to invest in quality design and demonstrate the value of doing it right.
- Be proficient in core research skills, such as interviewing, analysis, and reporting techniques, and execute common types of user research with minimal guidance and supervision.
- Participate in critiques, workshops, design studios, and other design activities.
- Supporting a collaborative, transparent, and high-performing team environment by leading a positive, results-oriented attitude and culture that’s built on resilience, great communication, and mutual respect.
- Bachelor’s degree
- At least 5 years of relevant professional experience designing for software, web and/or digital products.
- Strong knowledge of Sketch, Invision, Microsoft Office Suite, and Mac OS X
- Knowledge of HTML and CSS
Degree in a field related to human-computer interaction, graphic design, library sciences, psychology, or communication
How to apply:
Include a link to your online portfolio or attach pdf samples along with your resume.