Senior User Experience Designer (UX) at 8th Light, Inc. (Chicago, IL or Remote)
Senior User Experience (UX) Designer- US Remote
Who We Are
We are 8th Light, an employee-owned, remote-first software consultancy, we consider software design and development a craft. We’re driven by our deep commitment to excellence, and powered by our collective depth of knowledge and experience. Our team of expert developers and designers hold the title of "Crafter" to reflect our dedication to quality, our emphasis on continual learning, and our belief that software is truly a craft — something we take pride in, and value highly. We value colleagues who enjoy learning and teaching, which creates our collaborative organization.
We take a human-centered design (HCD) approach to crafting digital solutions, collaborating with the people writing code as well as those using it. We enjoy working with empathetic, passionate collaborators who value the work they do. At this time, we are seeking a Senior UX Designer to join this emerging specialization within 8th Light. We embrace the need for adaptability in a constantly changing world.
As a team of polyglot generalists — thinkers and doers ready to take on most any challenge that we encounter, we remain positioned to help an ever growing portfolio of client partners. If this approach to product and software development resonates with you, we'd love to talk.
Who You Are
A UX Designer with a depth of experience focusing on understanding and advocating for users. You’ve contributed to all aspects of design, iterating through potential solutions, mental models, and feature priorities through personas, user journeys, wireframes, prototypes, information architecture, and detailed design. You’ve successfully:
- Performed user research through a variety of methods throughout the design process (including usability testing in preparation for delivery)
- Synthesized user insights into opportunity areas for design
- Established information architecture and content strategy informed by research synthesis
- Led UX workshops (project planning, design thinking, research and synthesis activities, generative co-creation and prioritization of design opportunities)
- Performed iterative design prototyping from low fidelity sketches to high-fidelity interactive experiences
- Regularly sought and participated in design reviews with project teams and the broader design discipline through a lens of usability, accessibility, feasibility, and aesthetic quality
- Collaborated closely with developers to ensure faithful interpretation of design through delivery
What You’ll Do At 8th Light
You’ll create user research procedures and assets (personas, journey maps, etc.) as well as user interface wireframes and prototypes, working with fellow design team members. You will also support client projects, performing user research and creating software user experiences . In unison with the design and engagement teams, you will be responsible for:
- Designing human-centered software solutions across a range of industries and client organizations, with 5+ years of experience.
- Applying the design process to solve complex problems across a variety of software contexts (e.g. mobile, desktop, web, and hardware) with a portfolio that demonstrates your skills
- Collaborating with designers and developers on integrated teams to bring designs to life
- Facilitating effective communication with internal teams, clients and partners in team and workshop contexts
- High-quality presentation and writing skills
- Intermediate experience with Figma, along with other industry design and prototyping tools and frameworks
- Knowledge of emerging technologies e.g., web3
Nice to Have
We work across many areas, and encourage anyone with the experience mentioned above to apply. Given recent client requests, we would particularly like to encourage applicants with experience in the following areas:
- Design consulting across a range of industries and client organizations
- Integrated human-centered design and Agile delivery practices
How You’ll be Supported
We want our people to feel supported and encouraged to embrace their most authentic selves. Our wellness package at 8th Light is centered around the Whole YOU. Offerings that include:
- $1,500 annual budget for learning & development
- L&D time allotment of 120+ hours per year
- Flexible PTO
- Wellness days
- 12 weeks of new parent leave available immediately
- Fertility benefits
- Semi annual promotion panel
See our full list of Benefits
Join Us –– 8th Light is Fully Remote
We recognize that creating a truly diverse, equitable, and inclusive organization is an ongoing journey, and we’re excited to share our journey with you. We have a proud tradition of hiring talented colleagues with unusual career experiences. We're more interested in your experiences, results, and impact than brand names, degrees, or keywords that may appear on your resume.
8th Light currently recruits and supports a distributed team of employees in various states who work remotely. When opportunities allow we can also consider hiring talent eligible to work in the United Kingdom, Mexico, and Canada. In this new workplace landscape, it is rare that our consulting engagements require travel for current roles.
We are committed to supporting, onboarding, growth, and engagement of employees who choose to work remotely on a permanent basis. For team members who seek to work in-office, where local regulations allow, we can provide an experience that supports in-person social interaction and collaboration in our hub cities of Chicago, New York, London and Los Angeles. Learn more about our philosophy, plans, and updates by signing up for our Talent Community!