Senior Visual Product Designer, Design Systems at Tempus
Passionate about making a difference in the world of cancer genomics?
We’re looking for an experienced designer to join a new team dedicated to Tempus’ design system. You will play a pivotal role in the development and implementation of our design system. You’re a self-starter who has experience developing design systems and actively looks for ways to substantially improve components. You have experience designing web and mobile components.
You have pixel-perfect standards with exceptional interaction design skills and an eye for accessibility and usability. You’ll work with engineers to ensure the components are executed appropriately.
You are superb at identifying common design patterns throughout web and native mobile platforms and understand how to implement these patterns into our system. You advocate for, and enforce, best practices while introducing compelling and modern components for our ever-growing suite of internal and external products. You have past experience in writing design documentation that’s easy for the reader to consume and understand (regardless of audience).
You enjoy mentoring designers and can communicate your design process in a way that helps others grow. You participate in strategic thinking and planning and are comfortable thinking multiple quarters ahead. This role requires you to play both designer and product/project manager, so if you consider yourself a hybrid you should apply
You love designing components and geek out on UI details and interaction patterns. You’re hands-on and excited to roll up your sleeves and get things done as part of a dynamic team.
Above all, you’re an advocate for consistency with enough flexibility to accommodate critique and change.
- Develop system-level design elements that contribute to a unified user experience across our internal and external products
- Design and define interaction patterns and document and communicate how components behave so they can be broadly used
- Own design components from concept to code, and constantly and proactively look to improve the design system by testing, iterating, and gathering feedback
- Serve as an evangelist across the entire technology organization - educate, enforce, and provide guidance on the use of the design system and components to other designers, engineers, and product managers
- Ensure the design system is current and seamlessly integrated with our design process and prototyping tools
- Communicate and collaborate cross-functionally, including with various stakeholders, other designers, engineers, and product managers
- Understand the needs of various Tempus product design pods (web and mobile) across platforms and diseases
- Be constantly on the lookout for best practices and design patterns throughout various industries and platforms
- 5+ years of product design experience
- At least 2 years of experience directly contributing to and maintaining a design system across web and mobile
- A degree in HCI, graphic design, design communication, or related field
- Thrives in a collaborative, fast-paced environment
- Comfortable communicating and collaborating cross-functionally, especially with engineering partners
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to function as a designer and a project manager
- A solid understanding of native mobile and responsive design methodologies and patterns
Note: this role will be remote for the short term due to COVID-19, but will eventually be expected to work out of one of our offices in Chicago, New York, or Redwood City.