Solution Experience Designer at Discover
Discover. A brighter future.
With us, you’ll do meaningful work from Day 1. Our collaborative culture is built on three core behaviors: We Play to Win, We Get Better Every Day & We Succeed Together. And we mean it — we want you to grow and make a difference at one of the world's leading digital banking and payments companies. We value what makes you unique so that you have an opportunity to shine.
Come build your future, while being the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future with Discover.Job Description
Our Discover Innovation Lab is passionate about identifying breakthrough emerging solutions that will build new markets and businesses for Discover Financial Services.
Technology Capabilities and Innovation is seeking several Solution Experience Designers to join us as we incubate these new opportunities in partnership with our business groups and partners. Our efforts will extend our organization’s continued contributions to standards bodies, open-source communities and research partnerships with leading-edge Universities.
We value people who are team-oriented, who constantly learn and more importantly, constantly teach. Above all, we want you to help us improve consistently over time.
Our innovation lab is chartered to be an accelerator for internal business transformation and external market growth opportunities. The lab will be an incubator for corporate sponsored innovation projects. Lab members will pair with
sponsoring business unit resources to form innovation squads that will managecthe lifecycle development of exciting new endeavors. Squad members will get in at the ideation stage for new projects and have the opportunity to iterate with acproject from prototyping though pilots and eventually being the subject-matter experts as a project is transitioned for productization within the sponsoring business units.
We are looking for a User Experience Designer / Design Thinking Facilitator with a passion for applying the five phases of design —- Empathize, Define, Ideate, Prototype and Test— to ill-defined problems and then heavily contributing to the
creative design of a solution. We seek someone that can work across several independent squads to provide rapid prototyping of user experiences. In this position you will develop and champion the design thinking process for the innovation lab. You will also serve as a shared design thinking and creative services specialist across multiple squads. You will collaborate with our Distinguished Design Engineer to implement approved designs using cutting edge web tools and techniques to deliver intuitive user experiences.
This is not a traditional UX designer role. You will collaborate with others to define our design thinking process; you will be a point person for putting that process work in design thinking workshops for innovation project squads; and you will would be designing solution experiences from scratch.
You should be passionate and very comfortable with working on conceptual innovations projects from absolute infancy of ideation.
In this role, you should be an analytical and creative designer who is able to grasp user needs and solve problems. A strong portfolio of successful UX (including work with web/mobile applications) and other technical projects is essential. Ultimately, you will be a catalyst for the development of user-friendly, intuitive and attractive solution experiences produced by the innovation lab
- Create, publish and continuously refine our Design Thinking Process and associated workshops. Find creative ways to solve UX problems (e.g. usability, findability).
- Collaborate with our Distinguished Design Engineer to help standardize on common
- UX/UI guidelines and reusable components. Propose innovative tools, frameworks,automations and processes where appropriate.
- Aid our facilitators in Design Thinking Workshops. Get certified as a Design Thinking
- Facilitator so that you can lead Design Thinking Workshops as prescribed by our innovation method and platform
- Understand project goals and target user psychology. Build personas and journey maps.
- Develop wireframes and prototypes around customer needs. Take communications very seriously. This includes the writing of well-articulated design proposals as well as the writing of clear and concise issues and features.
- Communicate design ideas and prototypes to developers. Work with Front-end Engineers to implement attractive designs.
- Contribute to project ideation and design to understand needs, propose features, create early prototypes and transform them into exciting experiences. Design, development and iterate on a solution for a specific innovative business objective (concept proposal). Work with engineers in order to define and understand at a high-level the architecture of the new project. Contribute to the development of design thinking playbacks that tell an end-to-end story. These playbacks will be presented by team leaders to C-level business sponsors.
- Participate in solution architecture discussions with members from every squad in the innovation lab and be able to provide well-articulated feedback and advise. Have fun brainstorming and collaborating in team that is excited to answer your questions and share their wisdom with you. We expect you to do the same. Contribute to project ideation and design to understand needs, propose features, create early prototypes and transform them into exciting experiences.
- Communicates with staff and clients to understand specific system requirements.
- Provides advice on project costs, design concepts, and design changes.
- Documents design specifications and installation instructions
- Verifies the stability, interoperability, portability, security, and scalability of system architecture.
- Collaborates with technology partners to select appropriate design solutions and ensure the compatibility of system components.
We’re looking for people who are motivated to learn from new challenges and who understanding the various design principles that come together to create awesome user experiences. We need someone who is self-motivated and passionate working end-to-end with innovation project squads. Someone who not only creates and facilities the design thinking process but will be responsible for executing on its outcomes. You are a creative thinker and passionate designer that loves to interact with people, iterate, improve continuously and take ownership. You are an intellectually curious person with a deep and persistent desire to learn. You are willing to ask questions and you like the challenge of finding answers to the hard ones. You enjoy the camaraderie of collaboration towards new solution experiences. You desire to take the time to design things right the first time, but are able to recognize when tactical trade-offs are necessary and you are able to pivot.
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related field
6+ years of experience in Application Development/Leadership, or related field
In lieu of a degree, 8+ years of experience in Application Development/Leadership, or related field
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
8+ years UX design or UI development or related
Bachelors Computer Science or Information Technology
An outstanding portfolio that exemplifies excellence.
Strong experience building multiple UX component and asset libraries for cross-team reuse.
Strong project and team leadership experience with a track record of inspiring your team to deliver world-class solutions.
Excellent presentation and moderator skills.
Mastery of Sketch, Figma, Adobe Creative Suite, Principle, InVision, and other design and management tools
Experience creating, implementing, and managing design systems (human interface and style guidelines).
Mastery of human-centered design methodologies and rapid ideation processes such as Lean XD and Design Sprints.
Passion for cutting edge technologies, drive, and ability to quickly learn new concepts
Prior experience working for a consumer Internet company
Detail-oriented approach to the delivery of beautiful user experiences without ignoring performance.
Is an enthusiastic, highly motivated self-starter with a strong work ethic and an intense focus on achieving results.
Financial or similar complex industry experience.
#LI-MF1 #Remote #BI-Remote
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.