Reverb is a leading online marketplace for buying and selling new, used, and vintage musical instruments. Since launching in 2013, Reverb has grown into a vibrant community of buyers and sellers all over the world. By focusing on inspiring content, price transparency, musician-focused eCommerce tools, a music-savvy customer service team, and more, Reverb has created an online destination where the global music community can connect over the perfect piece of music gear.
Reverb is looking for a passionate developer to help make the next generation of features for our Android app. We sweat the details, spending time polishing a critical feature to delight our users. We are a lean team and always try to leverage the right tool for the job. That could mean native code, a web view, or something else.
Everyone at Reverb takes creative initiative, helps set their own priorities, and comes up with new ways to grow the business. Our software engineers take pride in crafting great software but take even more pride in product ownership, taking ideas from concept to release and beyond.
Here are the qualities we look for in our potential hires:
Always learning - You know what you know and know what you want to know. You are always asking questions and willing to work with mentors and other engineers to get you to the next level.
Product Ownership – We are not just software engineers and designers. At Reverb, you’ll be expected to track the performance of features you release, talk to customers, and help figure out next steps to grow the business.
Self-Motivation – Taking initiative to just get things done. Have an idea? Find someone else to help you make it a reality rather than waiting for work to be assigned.
About Android at Reverb
- Our app is native, new development is done in Kotlin and old code is regularly refactored into Kotlin
- We use GraphQL extensively
- Continuous Integration with Unit and UI Testing via Jenkins.
- We use a MVVM with DataBinding architecture as much as possible, using Koin for dependency injection
- Work with the product team to implement their vision while providing feedback and taking ownership of the behavior, design, and implementation of features. Refactor existing code with pride.
- Embrace and extend patterns and processes employed by mobile through pairing and active participation in review.
- Learn the Reverb platform and advocate on behalf of users.
- Collaborate across development, marketing, customer engagement, content, sales, and management teams to gather feedback.
- Serve as a mentor to other mobile developers.
- Pursue the advancement of your skills both in and outside of Reverb.
- Knowledge of Java, Kotlin, and Android development
- Experience working on a network-dependent application
- A published app in the Google Play Store that demonstrates your skills and expertise
- Experience working with alternative mobile frameworks like React Native or Kotlin Multiplatform.
- Knowledge or experience with Rails, Go, Protobuf, or GraphQL.
- iOS or other mobile platform experience.
- A love of playing or enjoying music.
What You’ll Get
To complement our competitive compensation and equity plans, we offer:
- No-bureaucracy environment where ownership and initiative are valued.
- Health insurance and a healthy work environment.
- 401k with company match.
- Paid parental leave.
- Flexible vacation and sick days.
- Pre-tax commuter benefits.
- Bi-monthly lunches.
- A MacBook, monitor, keyboard, mouse of your choice and standing desk.
This is a local position in Chicago, please no remote workers or recruiters.