Application Engineer - Sr Specialist at CNA
This is an individual contributor role that provides technical leadership guidance and mentorship to other highly technical resources. This role leads the design, development, and integration of business applications across the entire software development lifecycle (SDLC) for enterprise wide systems while adhering to CNA standards. This role also provides guidance to others to support the building of technical capabilities.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Performs a combination of duties in accordance with departmental guidelines:
1. Designs, develops, and tests complex applications according to CNA coding and quality standards.
2. Independently delivers results, creating value for the CNA brand, customers, and key internal stakeholders. Works with external (and offshore) resources as required.
3. Develops code based on business requirements or user stories, of diverse scope and complexities.
4. Conducts robust unit testing to ensure deliverables match the design and provides expertise to support subsequent release testing.
5. Independently develops, maintains, and provides technical expertise to transfer knowledge, document processes, and create a knowledge base for implementations. Identifies, develops, and implements IT policies and procedures surrounding IT quality and governance and their respective data ensuring proper oversight, security and resilience in area of responsibility.
6. Actively adheres to established quality and reliability standards, and ensures team(s) adheres to the same quality and standards.
7. Ensures the viability, functionality and effectiveness of essential QA tools (e.g., QA data base, test system environment and software).
8. Ensures product quality documentation system by writing and updating quality assurance procedures, and establishing rework standards.
9. Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies. Drives the evolution of CNA application development processes and standards.
May perform additional duties as assigned.
Typically Director or above
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
1. Preferred experience with the insurance industry, its products and services.
2. Solid software development skills developing commercial grade applications.
3. 6 months of hands-on experience in development in Google Cloud Platform and\or Amazon Web Services Cloud, including using BigQuery, Amazon Redshift, and\or Postgres.
5. Development experience with Python.
6. Working knowledge of relational database concepts, Data Warehousing, and Business Intelligence tools (Qlikview, Tableau).
7. Development experience in building ELT pipelines using Java and\or Python, and\or GUI tools such as Cask or Informatica.
8. Working knowledge of Spark.
9. Exposure to Apache Beam.
10. Exposure to Amazon Elastic MapReduce (EMR) and\or Google Cloud DataProc.
11. Prior experience working with Spark a plus.
12. Hands on experience with Oracle and ETL tools such as Informatica.
13. Solid technical understanding and experience in Agile process, such as SCRUM and Extreme Programming (preferably experience as a SCRUM Master).
14. Strong experience in Test Driven Development (TDD) Methodology.
15. Ability to apply industry standard software development methodologies, such as Agile.
16. Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and other business-related software, systems, and higher level programming languages.
17. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively with peers and team members
Education & Experience
1. Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or related discipline; or equivalent work experience.
2. Typically, a minimum of 5-7 years of application development experience in an enterprise environment with experience using Agile methods.
3. Previous project leadership experience preferred.
4. Applicable certifications preferred.