Back End Engineer - Transactions at Reverb
Reverb is the largest online marketplace dedicated to buying and selling new, used, and vintage musical instruments. Since launching in 2013, Reverb has grown into a vibrant community of buyers and sellers all over the world. By focusing on inspiring content, price transparency, musician-focused eCommerce tools, a music-savvy customer service team, and more, Reverb has created an online destination where the global music community can connect over the perfect piece of music gear.
Our core belief is that music makes the world a better place. Through Reverb Gives, a portion of every sale provides youth music education programs across the world with instruments they need to make music.
The transactions team builds the Reverb payment platform in Rails and scales it to millions of users and a growing engineering team. We focus primarily on back end development, with the understanding and desire to work with front end technologies as needed. Team members take a pragmatic approach to product development through understanding and making well-reasoned technical decisions and tradeoffs. We participate in pairing sessions and code reviews, and research things independently. We elevate our fellow team members and other developers through continuous mentorship. At Reverb, we're more than engineers; we're product owners who want to interact with internal stakeholders, break down large problems, and follow up on the performance of our features to know how they impact the business directly.
Here are the qualities we look for in our potential hires:
Product ownership – we are not just software engineers and designers. At Reverb, you’ll be expected to track the performance of features you release, talk to stakeholders, fix bugs, and understand your impact on the business.
Self-motivation - taking the initiative to get things done by finding ways around potential roadblocks and proactively working with other team members to find right-sized solutions.
Leadership - you have a framework of how you want to quickly and safely ship software, are ready to implement that vision, and can instill that vision in others.
- 3+ months of professional experience (i.e. experience gained outside of an academic setting) with web technologies and applicable RDBMSes (we use Ruby on Rails and Postgres).
- Comfort in your chosen languages and frameworks, but curiosity and ability to ramp up on new technologies quickly when called for.
- Some comfort working at the command line is extremely helpful.
- Experience with unit testing (whether TDD, BDD, or spike it first and test it later) and a desire to push everyone to do better.
- Great communication skills and the desire to collaborate across departments and with customers.
- An inherent desire to solve complex problems, while still maintaining clean, easily maintainable code.
About our compensation and benefitsReverb offers compensation packages that include base, bonus, and equity in the form of Etsy restricted stock units. Some of our key 2021 benefits include:
- 100% paid medical, dental, and vision coverage for employees and their eligible dependents (you read it right: no premiums!)
- Life, AD&D, and supplemental long-and short-term disability insurance
- Matching 401(k)
- A generous vacation policy, plus unlimited sick and mental health days
- 18 weeks of gender-neutral parental leave for the birth or adoption of a child
- 12 weeks of fully-paid family leave
- Up to $7,500 reimbursement of adoption-related expenses
- Ways to give back to you community through a charitable contribution match and volunteer time off
At Reverb, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace makes us a more relevant, more competitive, and more resilient company. We welcome people from all backgrounds, ethnicities, cultures, and experiences. Reverb is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided a reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.
This is a local position in Chicago. Please, no recruiter submissions.