Backend Software Engineer at Tovala
As a backend software engineer at Tovala, you will architect, build, and help scale our backend software systems that form the backbone of our consumer and internal software products. We pride ourselves on being a small and lean engineering team allowing each individual to make decisions and take ownership over their work. You’ll be part of this close-knit team as we continue building mission critical software systems and tools that enable Tovala to scale.
How you’ll spend your time at Tovala
● Writing code in one of our many backend software systems which include our customer API, meal ordering system, kitchen operations tools, R&D culinary tools, and our data pipeline.
● Thinking through technical decisions with other members of the software team.
● Working very closely with stakeholders outside of the engineering team.
to scope, define, and plan features.
● Taking ownership of a system or set of tools and continuously improving them, often without direction from an external stakeholder.
● Paying down technical debt to ensure our backend systems continue to scale.
● Mastering the art of finding the perfect GIF to describe an emotion.
● Unlimited paid time off (with a minimum of 15 days off you HAVE to take)
● Comprehensive healthcare coverage we really invest in
● Paid maternity/paternity/family leave
● Transportation/health savings accounts
● A fully stocked kitchen with free breakfast, lunch, and snacks daily
● A free Tovala Smart Oven and discounted Tovala Meals
● You have a 4 year degree in Computer Science or Engineering
● You have 4+ years of experience building and leading deployment of production software critical to specific aspects of a business
● You have outstanding engineering talent, shown by great results, cool side projects, or open source contributions
● You enjoy working on a small software team where you often wear multiple hats
● You have a favorite backend programming language
● You are experienced with SQL
● Bonus if any of the following apply to you:
- Your favorite programming language is Golang
- You are experienced with AWS infrastructure
- You are able to work independently and with others
- You enjoy deep technical challenges and defining your own work
● You want to work in an environment that:
- Takes a people-first approach
- Values humility, integrity, and ambition
- Is focused on creating a culture that keeps people happy and challenged
- You love food, whether that means cooking it, eating it, frequently pressing your nose against deli windows, or lusting after soft-serve on Instagram. All fair game.