Cloud Engineer at Echo Global Logistics
At Echo we are committed to help our Associates grow their career. Apply today and grow with Echo!
Echo Global Logistics is a leading provider of technology-enabled transportation management services. As a third-party logistics provider, we simplify transportation management for our clients and carriers, handling crucial tasks so they can focus on what they do best. From coast to coast, dock to dock, and across all major transportation modes, Echo connects businesses that need to ship their products with carriers who transport goods quickly, securely, and cost-effectively.
Reporting to the IT Security Director, this position would provide engineering support and would primarily collaborate with cross functional teams that have workloads in the cloud. The Cloud Engineer is responsible for helping ECHO to implement best practice in the cloud and will provide meaningful & significant contributions to ECHO's initiatives in the following areas: cloud security, automation and engineering of hybrid cloud applications. The Cloud Engineer will look for ways to achieve ECHO's cloud goals by leveraging automation and code where appropriate.
The ideal candidate will have a bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a closely related subject. This candidate would also possess three or more years of experience in implementing and supporting complex IT operations in an enterprise organization. This position requires strong analytical thinking and problem solving skills that go beyond basic implementation given the complexity of our environment. Functional experience with open source automation tools like Terraform, Ansible, and cloud native tools like CloudFormation is highly desired. Success in this role requires technical knowledge and experience in complex hybrid cloud environments and supporting development efforts and DevOps processes in an engineering and consultative capacity.
Cloud Design and Implementation (70%)
- Enable resilience and high availability for numerous platforms, from bleeding-edge cloud applications to on-premise legacy environments
- Build, implement and optimize cloud infrastructure solutions for distributed systems on our existing public cloud or data center
- Experience with troubleshooting very complex distributed environments pertaining to connectivity and application performance and monitoring tools
- Hands on Cloud resource implementation supporting software engineering, DevOps, and Data teams
- Experience with DevOps procedures and processes and with working in an Agile environment
- Contributes to and supports the corporate Enterprise cloud strategy, standards, and best practices associated with all aspects of Cloud offerings
- Responsible for documenting and diagraming automated solutions in the cloud
- Drive scope definition, requirements analysis, functional and technical design, application build, product configuration, unit testing, and production deployment
- Ensure delivered solutions meet/perform to technical and functional/non-functional requirements
- Provide technical expertise and ownership in the diagnosis and resolution of an issue, including the determination and provision of workaround solution or escalation to service owners
- Ensure delivered solutions are realized in time frame committed; work in conjunction with project sponsors to size and manage scope and risk
Act as the coach and mentor to team members and technical staff on their assigned project tasks.
Open to new ideas and encourages innovative practices amongst peers
Practices positive interactions - leans on encouragement in place of judgment
Impresses responsibility on others by displaying ownership in tasks
Acts in the interest of the overall team
Actively works on broadening skillset by adding new or deepening existing skills
Asks for assistance when problems become challenging
Balances best practice decisions with delivering high business value
Contributes to the success of the team
Able to multi-task in a fast-paced, fluid work environment
Improve efficiencies of redundant tasks by writing scripts and when possible schedule automation
Capable of presenting technical ideas and concepts in business-friendly language
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, systems analysis or a related study, or equivalent experience
- 3+ years of relevant, IT engineering experience
- 2+ years experience in the following areas:
o Cloud platform, storage, networking, and virtualization engineering
o Design & implementation of distributed applications (preferred)
o Designing, building, and automating solutions utilizing AWS services such as EC2, S3, RDS, Route 53, Lambda, IAM, and API Gateway
o Working with cloud native automation tools such as CloudFormation, and open source tools such as Terraform & Ansible
o Experience in working with CI/CD pipelines
o Developing ongoing IAM polices & roles that satisfy principles of least privilege
o AWS Access control and Network security
- Good familiarity with TCP/IP protocols and applications
Work environment/physical demands summary
This job operates in an office environment and uses a computer, telephone and other office equipment as needed to perform duties. The noise level in the work environment is typical of that of an office with an open seating floor plan. The employee may encounter frequent interruptions throughout the work day. The employee is regularly required to sit, talk, or hear.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or Vietnam era or other protected veteran.