The Cloud-Ops Architect is primarily responsible for leading the creation of a technology framework and providing technical leadership in support of VelocityEHS’s initiatives in cloud computing and automation, with a focus on the design of systems and services that run on cloud platforms. The Cloud-Ops Architect reports into the VP of Technology but would be embedded into the Cloud-Ops effort to provide architectural leadership and best practices. Additionally, the Cloud-Ops Architect will be responsible for ensuring that critical applications are designed and optimized for high availability, disaster recovery, and geographically disparate platform access.
The VelocityEHS work environment is dynamic, innovative, and entrepreneurial. We have a results-oriented culture that demands intelligence, teamwork and follow-through. If you have these qualities and take pride in surprising and delighting clients, then this is the job for you. Check out the details below and apply now.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Key Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Cloud Architecture and Design and Development (50%)
- Overall production Cloud architecture and implementation strategy (e.g. OS, multi-tenancy, virtualization, orchestration, elastic scalability)
- Maintain and enhance DevOps tool chains and processes to support the seamless release of production application code and services
- Financial reporting and architecture tuning to minimize cost without affecting performance and apply predictive cost-modeling for new implementations to ensure proper scaling and elasticity based on the product requirements
- Act as a Subject Matter Expert to the organization for VelocityEHS’s cloud end-to-end architecture, including Azure and future providers, networking, provisioning, and management
- Develop a library of deployable and documented cloud design patterns, based on the VelocityEHS application portfolio, as a basis for deploying services to the cloud
- Demonstrate leadership ability to back judements with research and the “why,” and articulate several options, the pros and cons for each, and a recommendation
- Maintain overall industry knowledge on latest trends, technology, etc.
- Develop solutions architecture and evaluate architectural alternatives for private, public and hybrid cloud models, including IaaS, PaaS, and other cloud services
- Contribute to DevOps development activities and complex development tasks
- Define optimal design patterns and solutions for high availability, disaster recovery, and geographically disparate platform access for applications
- Drive scope definition, requirements analysis, functional and technical design, application build, product configuration, unit testing, and production deployment
- Ensure delivered solutions meet/perform to technical and functional/non-functional requirements
- Provide technical expertise and ownership in the diagnosis and resolution of an issue, including the persistence and provision of workaround solution or escalation to service owners
- Ensure delivered solutions are realized in time frame committed; work in conjunction with project sponsors to size and manage scope and risk
- Provide support and technical governance, expertise related to cloud architectures, deployment, and operations
Thought Leadership (20%)
- Provide thought leadership in industry and to fellow team members across business and technical project dimensions solving complex business requirements
- Demonstrate forward thinking around where the organization is going and how technology can support these efforts
• Advocate and define cloud architecture vision from a strategic perspective, including internal and external platforms, tools, and systems
- Act as the coach and mentor to fellow Cloud-Ops team members and technical staff on their assigned project tasks in regard to the proper application of cloud-based services and functions
- Lead the definition and development of cloud reference architecture and management systems
Minimum Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, systems analysis or a related study, or equivalent experience
- 10 + years of experience spanning at least two IT disciplines, including technical architecture, network management, application development, middleware, database management or operations
- Experience with Azure and VMWare enterprise implementations
- Exposure to multiple, diverse technologies and processing environments
- Knowledge of all components of a technical architecture
- Knowledge of business process re-engineering principles and processes
- Strong understanding of network architecture and application development methodologies
- Calm under pressure, and ability to take accountability for outcomes and performance
- Data-driven and results-oriented, with a strong analytical skillset
- Ability to take initiative and develop innovative solutions to emerging threats
- Ability to manage multiple projects with tight deadlines
- Ability to work with development organizations to consult on product enhancements using cloud services
- Experience as a team lead preferred
- Experience with Microsoft SQL Server, including availability groups, backups, and performance tuning
- Experience with Azure DevOps, including release pipelines
- Experience with Kubernetes and container solutions
VelocityEHS is the largest and fastest growing environmental, health, safety (EHS) and sustainability software company in the world. More than 8 million people rely on our innovative on-demand (cloud-computing technology) safety and compliance management solutions to do their jobs safely and protect the environment.
At VelocityEHS, success is an everyday occurrence. Everyone who walks through our doors has an opportunity to make an impact. Our people make the difference at VelocityEHS – that's why we're not just looking for people with the right skills, but for those with the right drive, the right passion and the right character to make our entire team better. We still operate with the same start-up mentality that has made us the leading cloud EHS company, and offer each and every employee the opportunity to grow and reach their full potential.
We’re driven by the work we do to keep others safe, but we also like to have fun while doing it. We believe in producing great results, but also in enjoying the ride. Work-Life balance means two things at VelocityEHS – having time for your life outside of work, and taking steps to bring more life into the workplace. Between all the variety of workplace events, volunteer opportunities and other group activities available, we never forget that dynamic people need and deserve a place to work.
Finally, we understand that taking care of our customers starts with taking care of our employees. Our benefits include excellent medical and dental plans, matching 401(k) saving plan, RRSPS saving plans, generous PTO and more. We thank you for your interest, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No agencies please.
We welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace. VelocityEHS is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, family status, veteran status, Indigenous/Native American status, or disability. Applicants with disabilities can request accessible formats, communication supports, or other accessibility assistance by contacting [email protected]