Computational Biologist - KDB Developer/ Scientist
With the advent of genomic sequencing, we can finally decode and process our genetic makeup. We now have more data than ever before but providers don't have the infrastructure or expertise to make sense of this data. Here at Tempus, we believe the greatest promise for the detection and treatment of cancer lies in the deep understanding of molecular activity for disease initiation, progression, and efficacious treatment based on the discovery of unique biomarkers.
We're on a mission to connect an entire ecosystem to redefine how genomic data is used in clinical settings. Our Knowledge Database (KDB) team is passionate and focused on maintaining and developing the Tempus KDB and internal tools that feed into the Tempus clinical reporting pipeline. As a developer on our team, you will collaborate with product, research, and business development teams to ensure all data and applications coming in and out of the KDB are structured appropriately and of the highest quality.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Extract, structure, and analyze cancer-related datasets including, NCCN guidelines, clinical trials, and drug/disease ontology
- Take input from clinical and medical leadership teams
- Maintain and monitor the Tempus Knowledge Database to ensure accurate and quality data for clinical reporting
- Maintain and create new internal tools for interfacing with the Tempus Knowledge Database (R-Shiny/Flask).
- Interact cross-functionally with a wide variety of people and teams.
- Produce high quality and detailed documentation for all projects.
- PhD or MS degree in a quantitative discipline (e.g. cancer genetics, bioinformatics, computational biology, computer science or similar) or a strong record of practical experience.
- Fluent with R and Python.
- Experience with maintaining and structuring databases (SQL, PostgreSQL, SQLite, or similar)
- Experience working in a Linux / Mac and cloud environments.
- Thrive in a fast-paced environment and willing to shift priorities seamlessly
- Self-driven and works well in interdisciplinary teams
- Strict attention to detail
- Experience working with clinical and/or genomic data.
- Experience with building R-Shiny web applications
- Experience with AWS architecture
- Experience working with Docker containers and cloud-based compute environments.